Cnc Course in hobby machinist

I will try, but it will be a few days at the least. My machine is down while I make some enhancements (replacing variable speed drive in the head and adding spindle encoder). I had a trial run last night, but need to make some adjustments. Close now though. I ran this program in "simulation" mode.

Any hints on real the assignment? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand how to create the gradually increasing arc without cheating and using controller specific features.

I will try, but it will be a few days at the least. My machine is down while I make some enhancements (replacing variable speed drive in the head and adding spindle encoder). I had a trial run last night, but need to make some adjustments. Close now though. I ran this program in "simulation" mode.

Any hints on real the assignment? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand how to create the gradually increasing arc without cheating and using controller specific features.
Hint, take one step at a time. First make an arc, then scale. Now move in Y and iterate until Y=6". It is all right to add instead of scaling. But the scaling feature is very useful for roughing or approaching a final dimension. Lets see if anyone else contributes with G code before pasting the recipee.
Regards.:think1:

I haven't tried to write the code yet, but my thoughts were to cut the initial arc, then progress each cut by scaling down until you reached Y=6" as stated. I have a mental block when it comes to writing arc codes. It looks good on paper, but when I try the cut, I either get a shape nothing like an arc or Mach tells me I've goofed and have errors.

I needed to drill 896 holes in a piece of tubing this weekend to make a muffler for my 1965 Honda Trail 90. The thought of measuring the spacing or building an indexing jig sent me to the little CNC mill. Since my X-axis is only around 9", I set up a routine to drill 22 holes at 3/8" spacing in a single line. I mounted the tubing in two V-blocks and set the rotational increments by eye (16 rows, staggered pattern). Absolute precision wasn't a factor.

It's nice to have a bit of an understanding about what parameters to adjust to get a desired result. Having the notes to refer to helped. Thanks, Syaminab.

P3230861a.jpg

P3230861a.jpg

I needed to drill 896 holes in a piece of tubing this weekend to make a muffler for my 1965 Honda Trail 90. The thought of measuring the spacing or building an indexing jig sent me to the little CNC mill. Since my X-axis is only around 9", I set up a routine to drill 22 holes at 3/8" spacing in a single line. I mounted the tubing in two V-blocks and set the rotational increments by eye (16 rows, staggered pattern). Absolute precision wasn't a factor.

It's nice to have a bit of an understanding about what parameters to adjust to get a desired result. Having the notes to refer to helped. Thanks, Syaminab.

View attachment 50601
sorry to have you all so abandoned. But Im soaked in work for now. As soon as I deliver whats needed I will return to you with programs to do this easy... Congrats for your muffler.

Fellow Machinists, next time you ride on a dodge, guess who built the gripper jaws to machine the yokes?....I m almost finished with them, then I m back with more cnc programming.

- - - Updated - - -

They have lots of very precise features, including angled surfaces and holes

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I haven't tried to write the code yet, but my thoughts were to cut the initial arc, then progress each cut by scaling down until you reached Y=6" as stated. I have a mental block when it comes to writing arc codes. It looks good on paper, but when I try the cut, I either get a shape nothing like an arc or Mach tells me I've goofed and have errors.

Rick, maybe is because at the top of the arc, you touch the part with the tip of the tool, but at the end of the arc or bottom, is the side of the ballmill that touches the part... This gives you a hint?

This last is a headache in five axes machinning... The contact point of tool when the tool oscilates is resolved with triangles. Try scrolling out of the edge one radious of the tool....

My arc codes never made it that far. I recently discovered the error of my ways and have since corrected the boo boo. It all came down to actually reading and understanding the instructions. (Funny how a small word like "center" or "offset" will change everything!) So now arcs and me are old pals. Now it's on to scaling and acrs in the XZ and YZ planes.

Again thank you for posting these lessons. They have helped tremendously. I have a file with your name on it and the contents of this thread.

Awesome thread. Way more then I can absorb in a reading. But we will be starting cnc in a few weeks so just easing that curve. I'm sure I will refer back this info a few times at least.

Thanks for taking the time

Absolutely brilliant just what I need to get to understand Gcode as I am just starting out.
many thanks Syaminab.
Bob

Back