Clutch change on a John Deere 5105 ml

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
Was lazy and asked the local Deere Dealer what it would cost to change out the clutch on the tractor. It’s nothing fancy , open cab hundred horse tractor. Was quoted 2000. Sounded reasonable so I went ahead and said ok. This was in September last year. Just now received the bill of 13000. How did it take three months to change out the clutch and just now to come out with a bill. The clutch is a wet clutch so the transmission has to come out. I changed out a power shift transmission in a 6300 a couple of years ago and it took me about 20 hours. I figured the the should be about the same or less. Looking at the bill there is a steering valve that was replaced for being cracked , a new steel hydraulic line and a main throttle sending unit changed out that were fine when the tractor went in. My best guess is something happened when they were splitting the tractor and didn’t have everything thing disconnected they should have. When the tractor came back the pot that worked before now didn’t and there were over twenty nut and bolt visibly missing. This is what happens when I let someone work on my equipment. After talking to the service manager they took off 1900 from the bill. Even so that is an unbelievable cost for a clutch replacement. The tractor after repair is only worth 20 thousand. Never underestimate the value of being able to do your own repairs or being able to machine your own parts. Sorry about the rant. I am still in shock.

Implement dealers are notorious for this kind of pricing. Unlike most all other types of vehicle dealerships they aren't bound by estimate laws. They charge whatever they want, regardless of the price they quoted you when you brought in the machine.

Many years ago I had a similar (but much less expensive) experience with a local lawn & garden dealership. I had purchased a Bolens tractor that was supposed to have a 1-year warranty. After about 6 months of ownership the clutch started making noise. I was told the cost to replace it would be covered under the under warranty.

Two weeks later when I went to pick it up, I was presented with a bill for $400.00. They did replace the clutch under warranty, but they also decided it needed a transmission oil change, an engine oil change, a couple new belts, and a few other things I didn't ask for. When I protested, I was told I could either pay the bill or forfeit the machine. I was dumbfounded and paid the bill.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one treated that way. About a year later there was an article in the local paper about a class action suit against them. They lost the suit and went out of business within a year. It may have been a blessing in disguise. All the other implement dealers in the area started giving written estimates before beginning the work and stick within 10% of the agreed upon amount.

Last edited:
I do what I can to fix mine. Unfortunately Deere seems to do what they can to support the dealers at the owners expense.

There are a lot of discontent John Deere owners here in mid America. Several years ago Deere started restricting owners ability to do maintenance and repairs. When the computers on some models indicate a fluid change is necessary the fluid can be changed by the owner, However the computer cannot be reset by anyone other than a certified technician with a scanner only available through a dealership.

The same thing applies to other wear and maintenance items. If a sensor indicates a wheel bearing needs replacement it can be replaced by anyone, but once again the JD technician has to come out and reset the computer to allow the machine to be started and driven. In most cases the "minimum charge" for the technician to show up and do a reset exceeds the cost of the actual repair.

On the upside this software has prevented a number of thefts. When Russia invaded Ukraine a couple years ago a number of JD implements were stolen from the dealerships. Deere just shut down their computers so they couldn't be moved under their own power.

On a more practical side JD has been losing "right to repair" lawsuits across the nation. They recently signed this memorandum with the Farm Bureau.

"The memorandum of understanding ensures that John Deere makes its software, tools, and documentation available to both farmers and independent repair shops. It also notes that owners and third-party technicians can’t compromise a machine’s safety features through modifications and assures that John Deere’s copyrighted software “is fully protected from illegal infringement,” likely through modifications made by hacking."

This may still be a bit of a double-edged sword. I remember when in the auto repair business GM opened its classes to both dealerships and independent shops. However, the dealers paid a minimum charge of $100.00 a day for each student while the independent shops paid $350.00 a day per student. Likewise, the documentation that went along with the class was free to dealership students, while the independents had to pay for it.

Last edited:
Nothing runs like a salesman's mouth
Doesn't California have some specific consumer protection laws for cases like this?
Aren't they supposed to call with a revised estimate?

Last edited:
If it is a car or pick up there is the automotive repair board. For equipment you are on your own. This dealer is so big it is and hour drive time to a different dealer.

I rebuilt a IH hydrostatic trans after the dealer swore that I couldnt do it successfully.

You did and it was fine. Correct. I am so tired of company bs. I have more faith in the people here than any company. I have seen members here with nothing more than an Atlas lathe do beautiful work.

I have seven tractors that are John Deere. I will not buy an other John Deere. If they are going to treat there costumers this way I do not need them. There are to many other manufacturers I can choose from may they rot in hell.

The only JD product I have is a little 445 all wheel steer garden tractor. I bought it new in 2000, and it's been a great machine. Fortunately, it was before they decided to lock down the computers. So far it hasn't needed much other than normal maintenance, but like anything JD even those parts are expensive.

Our best dealer is about an hour's drive away. We used to have several good dealers within a few minutes' drive. A few years ago, JD decided to combine their higher end lawn & garden equipment with their agricultural equipment. Now the only places you can buy JD equipment in the area is the low-end stuff at the big box stores or go to an agricultural dealer for the better stuff.

Fortunately, the agricultural dealer is friendly to us nonagricultural low life. They have good and knowledgeable people. It will be a tough decision as to what I would buy when it comes time to replace the current JD.

Back