Clip tool

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good morning, This is a tool to insert the clips that hold the grille bullets on 1959/60 Caddy's. A friend came to me with a picture of one available but is pricey. Working with a clip and the picture this is what I came up with. Thanks for looking.7B098F10-D438-4E70-A5BF-94D47CE44CA1.jpegD7CE8827-CD4B-45B5-ACD2-6F474FA43C2A.jpegBDFF7C6F-5CCD-4D1C-AB7B-A4009764FC6D.jpeg0B0DD062-E9DA-49DE-89E8-2D3DAFAC1ED6.jpegCA81672F-2F8B-48AE-8F20-7DBAC583861F.jpeg

@Charles scozzari

Nice looking Tool.

Is it too late to show a picture of the clip/how it works?
I don't have a 59/60 Caddy handy so . . .

Hijack: For a friend of mine, I once made a special socket to change the drive sprocket on a Moto Guzzi.
My friend later told me that when he showed a prospective buyer the tool, it clinched the sale of the Moto. LOL

When I worked in a machine shop 50 years ago, I was learning to fly and had an interest in antique airplanes.

Older radial aircraft engines had a large splined shaft where the propeller mounted, and it was supported by a large, deep-groove ball bearing. A nut clamped the inner bearing race to the shaft, and that nut had several grooves (like keyways) machined in the outside diameter for engaging the lugs of a wrench. Every manufacturer used a different design, so there was no standardization. Since removing the bearing was considered part of a major engine overhaul, the proper wrenches were not used in the field, only at overhaul facilities. Therefore, these wrenches were quite rare.

I obtained samples of four different "thrust nut" designs that came from the most common engines. Using illustrations I found in overhaul manuals, I built a set of wrenches for myself, and another for a friend that was specializing in overhauling three of these engine brands. He used the set I made continuously until he died. I believe his brother passed along the wrenches to someone who was following along in Jack's footsteps.

I would second that. Very cool Charles, but have no clue how it works. Some things are obvious but like extropic I’m Caddyless.

@Charles scozzari

Nice looking Tool.

Hijack: For a friend of mine, I once made a special socket to change the drive sprocket on a Moto Guzzi.
My friend later told me that when he showed a prospective buyer the tool, it clinched the sale. LOL
Hi, I don't have the tool at home. The friend I made it for took it with him. But when the bullit is in position on the grille ( the grille not mounted on the car ) the grille is put face down, the clip is laid in place on the bullits open end, the tool is used to then by tapping the tool with a hammer, push the clip into position locking the bullit in place. Hope I explained understandingly. Thanks.

Can you enlighten me on how you cut the bottom of the slots?

View attachment 437258
I sure will. The work was done vertically, then to form the seats that push the clip on were done with my rotary table in the vertical while holding the work horizontally, I used this P&W 2-3/4x45 degree cutter. to form the seat. Sure hope this is helpful.0ECCC120-FF8E-42CC-97AB-FEF77112EDE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning, This is a tool to insert the clips that hold the grille bullets on 1959/60 Caddy's.
Well it's a good thing I haven't found that tool Charles . I have no room at the inn for a huge Caddy in the driveway . Great work on the tool though , nice looking project which made someone a happy camper . :encourage:

I sure will. The work was done vertically, then to form the seats that push the clip on were done with my rotary table in the vertical while holding the work horizontally, I used this P&W 2-3/4x45 degree cutter. to form the seat. Sure hope this is helpful.

Slick.

Well it's a good thing I haven't found that tool Charles . I have no room at the inn for a huge Caddy in the driveway . Great work on the tool though , nice looking project which made someone a happy camper . :encourage:
Not even a 1959 Eldorado Biarritz ? Maybe ZL 1 powered. Thanks, Charlie

Back