Clever Storage Ideas with PVC Pipe

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just saw this ad. It's got some ingenious ideas using PVC that could be used in the shop. (This is an advertisement, so I don't know if it will post correctly. If not, you can probably paste the link on your browser.)

Regards

Amongst other projects , last year replaced all the solar lights at both houses and on the property in NY . Before , every time I would pull a light the pointed shaft would come apart from the round shaft and stay buried in the ground . Could never find them again . I drove a horseshoe peg into the ground and removed it , then stuck a 10" piece of PVC into the hole . Now the entire light including shaft is easily removed and replaced , and I know where they are . I've made bird feeders out of clear pipe also , easy to see when they need refilling . Best thing is I'm using pipe thats been stored in the garage for years and taking up space . :encourage:

Reactions: tjb
I've made a sawdust collection system, Shop vac under the Table Saw, hose connection, move hose to manifold (PVC) under the work bench, short hoses to the band saw, router table, lathe, jointer, sanding belt and (hopefully soon) drill press and mini-sander. (One at a time.)

I forgot all about the dust collection system I made from PVC. It has 5 ports throughout the shop. The valves are gate valves from McMaster. PVC comes in handy for a lot of things

I do a bunch of these already. I also have a few more that are not in here. But this was good.

I've used a few of these, and I use PVC pipes to keep my welding filler rod, BUT a bunch of these (like the tool drawer trays) are much better done with PVC fence (rectangular tube). It's expensive though, so you really want to find someone that does fencing (or sells the materials) and look in to their scrap.

GsT

I have found that the designers of heavy equipment, and even lawn & garden equipment have a cavalier attitude toward adding fluids. I have made several custom funnels for this that incorporate ways to keep dirt out and residual liquids in the funnels when not in use. Pipe thread adapters/plugs/caps or slip plugs/caps work well for this. Sometimes, to get the funnel to fit in a threaded female port, I need a diameter that isn't normal for PVC pipe. Often, I can glue a fitting onto a piece of pipe and that gives me enough material to machine out threads that fit.

I've made tools for turning hard to reach valves by cutting notches in the end of PVC pipes, often reinforcing the area with a piece of coupling for extra wall thickness. The glue joints seem to be just as strong as the pipe itself.

I made some hay sampling probes on the lathe and the factory cases are $80. So 2 inch PVC and caps saved a lot.
People often use rods/steel pipe to roll shop machinery across the floor. I used 1 inch PVC to move a 1000 lb compressor.
I needed to mail a jump drive to a friend and had no plastic mailer. Stuck it in a piece of PEX and mailed it in a padded envelope.
Some have buried arms and ammo in PVC. Unfortunately my community is too rocky.

Last edited:
Back