Clearvue Cyclone CV1800 5HP Dust Collector $1500 North DFW

Bryan40g

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For sale my Clearvue CV1800 dust collector 5hp with 15” impeller. Below is the listing on marketplace.

You don’t like it or no more woodworking?

I recently bought one but haven’t set it up yet.

No nothing like that. I love it! It performs exactly as Clearvue claims it does. When I purchased it back in 2019, I wanted a dust collector that actually performs like it is advertised. And boy does it. However, in my small 2 car garage it is crazy loud.

My garage is 20 x 18 with 99.5” ceiling height. It is air conditioned(mini-split) and fully insulated. Currently have it installed on a shared interior wall. My wife doesn’t mind the noise inside. But my god it is crazy loud in my garage and I live in an HOA. I have not had any complaints but even with my 3m peltor ear muffs( which are currently the best for loud noises) I just don’t want to listen to it anymore. So I’m looking to sell it and plan on getting the Harvey G700. It’s not what I want. But it’s variable speed with a controller and pretty quiet to my understanding. Plus it’s a much smaller foot print in my situation.

I had designed a closet for it with sound absorbing panels and in the end the sound proofing material is not cheap and the closet eats up too much space.

My real problem is that I need a real shop not a garage with tons of immovable objects located in my way. It’s a garage. I’m just using as a shop. Lesson learned. Does the cv1800 fit in my garage, yes. Is it insanely loud, yes. But it performs excellent. Hate to sell it. But gotta do what I gotta do. You’ll love it.

Here is a tip for you and this greatly affects me. Do not start and stop the dust collector more than 5 times in a single hour. I have a 5hp Leeson motor on mine (although I now see on Clearvue’s website they are using Baldor) and I have a start & run capacitor. Yours may not. Clearvue told me in an email not to start or stop it more than 5 times in an hour or it will burn up the start/run capacitors. On the Leeson there are external capacitors but the Baldor is a different design as it looks.

Are you planning to use the 6” or 8” pvc pipe? I have been but have decided to slowly start purchasing the clamp together ducting. Expensive, VERY. But the pvc even grounded constantly has dust stuck to it and now with my lathe in here I want as little dust as possible. Any part of the duct gets bumped and dust falls.

Oh yeah forgot to mention. I contacted Clearvue a week ago inquiring about upgrading to a 3phase motor they sell and wiring it up to a frequency drive thus giving me variable speed and they said that is an option. Plus they mentioned that they are currently working on a silencer and early testing shows a drop of around 10 decibels. That’s pretty good and could change my situation potentially.

I did an enormous amount of research designing the dust collector closet and how sound waves travel and such and 93 decibels running in my garage cut down to 80ish decibels would be a great improvement. That and building a floor stand getting it off the wall.

Thanks for the additional commentary. I did order the 3-phase model and a VFD so that I could run it slower and to facilitate remote activation.

My garage is not conditioned and is huge, with woodworking quite far from the metal shop. I’d like to set up the dust collector with an external exhaust, switchable with the filters. I haven’t figured out the ducting yet so I’ll have to think about the metal stuff. I’d love to hear about sources for that.

GLWS

Oh so u bought a 3 phase with the intention of running a vfd. Smart. Didn’t even know what a vfd was when I bought mine. When you get yours up and running id be very interested to hear what you think. If that time comes and I still have mine I may decide to just go that route. Very curious about that.

I began looking into the pricey nordfab ducting. I bought an adapter from clearvue to allow connecting to the cyclone. It was like $50 bucks. I found a nordfab dealer in my area. That’s key.
When I priced the duct fittings and blast gates out online the price was high but the shipping put it way out of my reach. Local dealer solves the shipping issue. You could also use spiral pipe from a local supplier. I like the idea of clamp together because I can easily remove sections or add on. The pvc ducting requires screwing or riveting the fittings blast gates etc. and you either caulk or use foil tape to seal it. Huge pita if you need to reconfigure.

The nordfab duct isn’t too bad price wise. The laterals and elbows are the pricey items. But it’s high quality and easily can be reconfigured or removed if needed.

I never seen a clear cyclone, I would think static could be an issue?

Nah not really. The Dust running thru the pvc pipe(in my current setup) is moving so fast it does cause static. I have a ground wire wrapped around the outside. Didn’t really notice any improvement. Probably should have also run it in the inside. But it is a pain in the ass cause dust sticks to the outside of every pipe and fitting and with my air conditioner and or my air filtration unit circulating air constantly dust all over. Not as much as before the dust collector but still. With the arrival of my lathe I just don’t want the dust environment anymore.

The cyclone is made of PETG I believe. I know it’s cold formed. Virtually indestructible and is a simple efficient design which I love versus the unit I plan to get if I can sell this one. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

In my old, commercial cabinet shop, we had a 15hp cyclone dust collector. Twice we had fires in the ducting, fortunately they were metal and contained the flames. Static was first suspected, but it was discovered the ignition source was from pieces of wood caught in the throat of one of the saws, rubbing against the blade. For this reason, I would only recommend metal duct. We used common sheetmetal ducting with only a couple of quick release sections for cleaning, which we learned was very important to do regularly...

I wouldn't worry too much about dust and the lathe. I had my 9" South Bend set up in that shop for almost 20 years and it never suffered any wear or damage from wood dust. I just kept it covered with an old beach-towel, wiped the ways off and oiled them before use, something that should be done anyway IMHO.

Back