Cleaning Greasy Parts

I always found WD40 to work good on somewhat heavy grease. I buy it by the gallon and soak the parts or brush them down good.

Lighter grease a strong mix of Purple Power seems to work well. When cleaning my engines or machines it seems regular engine cleaner is not as effective as Purple Power. Be careful because I found the Purple Power dissolving the tar on the driveway or gaskets with a petroleum base in them.

If the grease on the part is old and hard I move to using straight Acetone. Danagerous in some respects but works well but also removes paint.

I saw about the oven cleaner removes anodizing on aluminum but it will also destroy aluminum if you are not careful. If removing anodizing or a good bath for aluminum is what you need to do Greased Lighting works very good for this. We build laser host using LED flashlights and to be able to polish the aluminum or re-anodize / re-dye the flashlight bodies we first soak them in Greased Lightning and it perfectly removes the anodizing and then stops without destroying the aluminum. The Greased Lightning only removes the crystalline aluminum oxide layer but not the aluminum base.

It is hard to decide what to use to clean each thing in the shop because of reactions with other materials. It is almost like you need to be a chemist. :thinking::thinking:
Ed

Back