Cleaning Greasy Parts

CharlieW

Active User
Registered
For many years I used solvents and brushes to remove old grease and oil from parts. I hate to think about how many hours I spent sitting over a pan with solvent in it. About 25 years ago a friend put me onto using oven cleaner in aresol cans to degrease parts. It worked pretty well.

A few years back, I went to SAM's Club to buy the usual 3-pack of oven cleaner. I had some machines that were pretty greasy and I find that oven cleaner is a good way to clean it off. They didn't have the usual spray cans but they did have this stuff. I figured that it was some environmentally friendly stuff that wouldn't work very well, as is so often the case. It says "For professional use only, not for household use". I wasn't going to buy it because I figured naturally, that it was another product that would not work very well. It was under $8 for the 3-pack. I didn't want to have to go to another store so I decided to buy it. When I got home I hauled out a bunch of drill press parts. One part was a DP base that had dried grease and drill chips stuck all over the under side. Just the kind of mess I find very unpleasant to clean out. I sprayed about 8 parts with the cleaner. OK...It foamed up like the spray cans...that was good. I also noticed that it goes a little farther than the spray cans do. The sprayer is easier to pump than the little button on the spray can is to hold down for a long period of time.

I went into the house for about 10 minutes and then came back to check on it. WOW! The gunk was flowing all over the parts. I took the hose and washed the parts off. In the short time I had it on there, it liquified ALL of the grease and some of the paint. The parts came out clean as a whistle. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at the results. I find that sometimes it takes a re-application or some scraoing to remove large blobs. If I have a lot to clean, I apply the cleaner and rinse it with my small electric pressure washer. Does a great job.

I have done a few whole machines before starting to tear them down. I did a greasy logan a few years ago. After washing with water, I used raggs and compressed air to blow as much water off as I can. It was so much nicer to repair after the grease was removed from it. I do the application of the cleaner and the rinse, out in a spot on the lawn. It tends to burn the grass slightly but it recovers nicely in about a week. I suspect the burning is from the solvent application before the rinse.

It doesn't have any affect on the rust, of course, but it cleaned the parts faster and easier than ANYTHING I have ever used. I had to pass along this remarkable find. Like other oven and grill cleaners, I would not use it on pot metal or aluminum.

P8190191w.jpg

I hope you find this helpful.
Charlie

P8190191w.jpg

P8190191w.jpg

I just finished degreasing and cleaning my lathe, and used simplegreen purple degreaser in a parts washer. I chose it because it is environmentally safe, biodegradable and easy on the hands (I would actually put my hands under the stream of cleaner at the end of each session to take as much as I could off before washing my hands with regular soap). I could use it in the basement without affecting anyone else in the house as well, no fumes, no smells, no harsh solvents.

All the oven cleaners I've used in the past were pretty harsh on eyes/breathing/hands and all - how is this one? any better?

Charlie,

Does this stuff remove paint? Is it hard on your hands?

I used three cans of Easy-Off oven cleaner to strip my lathe when I rebuilt it.
It is really hard on your hands.

What didn't come off with that, I used phosphoric acid. It got paint and rust.
I got it at Home Depot. I think the product name is Kleen Strip.

It doesn't remove the paint though it softens it depending on the paint. It is hard on the hands. I either wear rubber gloves or don't touch the stuff until it is rinsed off. It pretty much like any other oven cleaner except it is cheaper and easier to use.

I just finished degreasing and cleaning my lathe, and used simplegreen purple degreaser in a parts washer. I chose it because it is environmentally safe, biodegradable and easy on the hands (I would actually put my hands under the stream of cleaner at the end of each session to take as much as I could off before washing my hands with regular soap). I could use it in the basement without affecting anyone else in the house as well, no fumes, no smells, no harsh solvents.

All the oven cleaners I've used in the past were pretty harsh on eyes/breathing/hands and all - how is this one? any better?

I have tried Purple power and simple green but both of them don't seem to dissolve the old hard crap as well. I've restored quite a few machines and a few antique cars. There are lots of products out there that work well. I tend to get impatient and this stuff goes pretty fast.

I take apart most machines that I am rebuilding and after cleaning them I sand blast most parts before painting them. I sometimes use electrolysis or chemical rust removers sometimes.

I am not saying this product is the answer for everyone. I'm just saying I like how it works for me and I'm OK with the negatives because I like how well it works.

Charlie

I have tried Purple power and simple green but both of them don't seem to dissolve the old hard crap as well. I've restored quite a few machines and a few antique cars. There are lots of products out there that work well. I tend to get impatient and this stuff goes pretty fast.

I take apart most machines that I am rebuilding and after cleaning them I sand blast most parts before painting them. I sometimes use electrolysis or chemical rust removers sometimes.

I am not saying this product is the answer for everyone. I'm just saying I like how it works for me and I'm OK with the negatives because I like how well it works.

Charlie[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was hoping there might be something new that would be both. but yeah, those oven cleaners sure make for quick work if you have proper ventilation and eye/skin protection. the simplegreen certainly needs time and some elbow grease to work, and as you stated will have a harder time with some heavier dry spots, but given time and some scrubbing it does work well.

good to have options and know the alternatives.

I never have used oven cleaner products in the shop. Just never thought to use it in the shop. "Spray Nine" cleaner works well also but may soften the paint if left on too long. Dries the sh** out of my hands.

I have used oven cleaner to clean the resin off of router bits and saw blades before. Never occurred to me to use it for grease. :thumbzup: Great idea.

Thanks
Jeff

Has anyone tried the "engine degreasers" for autos? I've used them for cleaning my engines and they seem fairly benign to paint and aluminum.

-Ron

What>>>?
You dont load them up in the old ladys dish washer (':biggrin:') Hmmmmm, she might get a tad bit upset about that eh (':*****slap:') Ya, better not (':nono:')

What>>>?
You dont load them up in the old ladys dish washer (':biggrin:') Hmmmmm, she might get a tad bit upset about that eh (':*****slap:') Ya, better not (':nono:')

:halo: I actually did that with a set of heads off one of my motorcycles. She was not amused. :rolleyes:

-Ron

Back