Cleaning A Surface PLate

I honestly never thought about it. I would have probably just used glass cleaner my self. But the question was asked I have a plate I just used, and chemicals are funny things..... So it seems a good question. Although logically speaking, counter tops dont get special treatment. A guy might feel bad if he bowled out the center of his slab ahahaha

ROCK! YOU MEAN GRANITE IS ROCK! :shocked: :headscratch:Yea, I know it's rock and I figured just about anything would clean it but...JUUUUSSST to be sure...You know.:noidea:

So Windex its is, or ammonia, or alcohol. Got it.:thumbsup2::thanks:

:yourewelcome:Actually, that was a really good question.

That reminds me...gotta make a cover for mine. Might keep well meaning or not so well meaning people from using it as an anvil!

Yes, I agree. I built a box out of 3/4 plywood to cover mine, the top sits about 1/2 inch over the plate, and my small tool box sits on top of that. I made it difficult to get to on purpose.

I was a tool & die shop supervisor several years ago, and one of the production people came into the shop and was doing something on the band saw. Then he walked over to the surface plate to use it for an anvil, he manged to get one hit before what ever I had in my hand hit him, and 4 tool & die makers yelled at him. He was never allowed in the shop again, and I had a talk with the production supervisor.

Don't use fast drying solvents on a plate. It will chill the top surface and warp it concave. Only by a few millionths, but it's there.

That reminds me...gotta make a cover for mine.
Yep they work great as an aid in lifting all the crap that gets piled on top of surface plates in one deft movement.

Don't use fast drying solvents on a plate. It will chill the top surface and warp it concave. Only by a few millionths, but it's there.
You got something more than heresay to back that up Andre? Ive been using mostly turps and metho (denatured alcohol) to clean granite and CI plates, (and optical flats for that matter) for years. Never seen a problem yet. And pretty sure my optical flats were better than most any surface plate.

Cheers Phil

Yep they work great as an aid in lifting all the crap that gets piled on top of surface plates in one deft movement.

You got something more than heresay to back that up Andre? Ive been using mostly turps and metho (denatured alcohol) to clean granite and CI plates, (and optical flats for that matter) for years. Never seen a problem yet. And pretty sure my optical flats were better than most any surface plate.

Cheers Phil

Although I do not have anything to back that up (and I should've mentioned that in my first post) everybody says that and I don't see why that wouldn't be the case. I have a tenths indicator and could read between the hash marks to maybe half a tenth to a third maybe 1/4 a tenth if the lines are far enough apart. 1/4 of a tenth is 25 millionths....
Anybody have a millionths DI for me to test that theory? LOL

Just wait ten minutes for the surface to warm back up and you'll be fine.

Though if you are working at a level where that would matter you are in a .1 degree temperature controlled clean room and nothing touches the surface plate that could dirty it anyway...

Just wait ten minutes for the surface to warm back up and you'll be fine.

Though if you are working at a level where that would matter you are in a .1 degree temperature controlled clean room and nothing touches the surface plate that could dirty it anyway...

Basically. The plate technically warps when you touch it anyway. Although it might chill it doesn't mean it's not usable. 1 millionth of nothing.

Thermal conductivity of granite is very low. Evaporative cooling from a light solvent would be insignificant. The mass of a surface plate would serve to stabilize any temperature gradient caused by a solvent evaporation. I do have an amplified test indicator if you want to see a demonstration.

Andre, EVERYBODY doesn't say that. I for one do not. I have used many things to clean surface plates over the years. Up to and including MEK. I like my surface plates clean and dry. Currently, I use Acetone after glass cleaner.

Back