Clean Sharp Bottom Of A V Cut ?

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Have a look at attached picture. In particular the 60 degree cut with the 90 degree shoulder on top.

I managed to hack it out in a fairly clumsy fashion with a V tool on the compound going in at 30 degrees and a tiny cutter for the deepest part when the V tool ran out of room and hit the 90 degree shoulder.

But I reckon there must be several better ways to do it that I didnt think of.

How would you do it ?

Bill

Cross Slide Mount.JPG

Maybe by using a parting tool to under-cut a slight relief after the angle is produced.

Obviously I am missing something, I don't even understand or see their purpose.

My soultion (if CNC was not available) would be a dove tail cutter and a rotary table.

Ken

Maybe by using a parting tool to under-cut a slight relief after the angle is produced.

Bill, after reading your post again, I think that what you did is the same as what I suggested :) Sorry -

Ken,

My Hercus lathe is very similar to a South Bend 9".

I am making a couple of these adaptors so that I can mount different things on the cross slide.

One of the items is an adaptor for a Myford Milling attachment to sit on the Hercus cross slide.

Another one that I am pondering upon is some sort of flat horizontal plate with T-slots as the current cross slide doesn't have any other way of mounting things apart from this one big hole for the item discussed above.

If I made a QCTP or a ball cutting tool it would have to be mounted like this.

Regards

Bill

Ken,

My Hercus lathe is very similar to a South Bend 9".

I am making a couple of these adaptors so that I can mount different things on the cross slide.

One of the items is an adaptor for a Myford Milling attachment to sit on the Hercus cross slide.

Another one that I am pondering upon is some sort of flat horizontal plate with T-slots as the current cross slide doesn't have any other way of mounting things apart from this one big hole for the item discussed above.

If I made a QCTP or a ball cutting tool it would have to be mounted like this.

Regards

Bill

Whoops,

Made a couple of mistakes there ? , not sure, could I mount a ball cutter or a QCTP onto the compound slide ?

I assumed it would be better to build from cross slide up but maybe I dont have to ?

Bill

i would say that the shoulder doesnt look part critical. at least a "clean shoulder". Not the cylinder part, that probably needs to fit snug. but the 60 angle is for a set screw to snug the part up and pull it down, so if there is a little angle positive it shouldn't ruin it i would cut the 60 with a the compund set like you did and touch up the shoulder with a facing bit, ground back so it doesnt smack into the 60 deg. but remember i am a hack)

I made an adaptor like that to mount a woodturning tool rest on my South Bend 9". It's been 30 years ago, so I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I ground a 1/4" tool bit to 60 deg, and fed it in with the compound. All I had was a lantern type tool post at that time, so that must be what I did. If I were to make another one now, I'd do it the same way.

The easiest way to mount a QCTP is on the compound, no need to modify anything.

Back