Clausing Colchester 25" speed out of sinc.

solo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
We have a 25" swing at work that was bought used. It works fine, but the speed selector is out of wack.
As you rotate the handles to advance speed or slow down, the speed is not what is selected.
Advancing to speed up it will speed up but advance again, it will slow down.
Again, slowing down, go to the next slower speed, it will speed up.
I haven't found anything on the internet how to fix this.
I couldn't find a serial number anywhere, or any kind of data plate.
Can anyone clue me in on how to repair this?

Attachments

• 20230608_114831.jpg
    20230608_114831.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 22
Don't know the machine, but sounds like something isn't being retained properly. Sheared key, loose set screw, snap ring, etc.. Probably going to have to lift the lid and take a look. Mike

Appears to be a Clausing Colchester No. 25 Engine Lathe, is this occurring when you move the inner handle (speed setting), not the outer handle, does it occur on all the 4 speed group ranges (outer handle), is there a positive engagement felt when you make the gearing changes? The top of the headstock could be removed to look at the gear engagement. Would check that if the front dials/levers were remounted wrong and/or an issue with the shifters in the head being out of alignment.

does it occur on all the 4 speed group ranges (outer handle)
Yes
is there a positive engagement felt when you make the gearing changes?
No, not like others I have ran. You sometimes need to engage it between speed settings.
Others at work had the top off to look and saw nothing, but never ever worked on a machine, soooo.?
I have a Cincinnati lathe to repair first ( someone broke off a shaft for gear changing), then I'll tackle this problem.
I'll keep you posted as to what I find out.
Thank you both!

Is there a Reeves drive in that machine? If so I would look there

No Reeves drive.
Might download this manual which seems to have the same gear selector mechanism for the headstock and look at the headstock shifting in the parts section, it could be that a key or cam pin has been broken. There looks like there are detents in the plate cam which selects the 4 speeds. Not sure if the handles only fit in one position on the splined shaft. It sounds like a problem with the drum cam driven by the outer lever for the speed group, it is moving between speed ranges. Would check the spindle speed against the gear chart to start with and then check out the engagement of the gear forks.

I pulled the top today, heavy sucker. I had to use the crane. There's two covers, The first one up front, I didn't see anything obvious.
The second one at the rear, I was able to see clearly all the gear changes. Inspecting the gears I saw two bad ones.
This must be where I'm hearing tap tap tap.
Side note!!! DO NOT TURN ON THE LATHE TO LOOK INTO THE GEAR BOX. It throws a LOT of oil !!!! 10 seconds was enough to find that out.
Thanks MKSJ, I'll study the manual.
I can not find any serial number or any data tag anywhere. Where would I find the serial number?

Working on the Cincinnati, I saw this. The wonky gear should have splines, the gear box needs a good cleaning after eating that bronze. Two more gears on the rack need replacing also.

Attachments

• 20230614_150817.jpg
    20230614_150817.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230614_085002.jpg
    20230614_085002.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230614_070223.jpg
    20230614_070223.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 5
Back