Clausing Colchester 13x36 Engine Lathe Parts Needed

ChandlerW

Registered
Registered
I am looking for parts for my Clausing Colchester 13x36 engine lathe.
I need the lead screw and the 63T worm gear in the apron.
I also need the saddle handle, dial, mounting bracket, screw, etc. The entire assembly.
I believe it is a 6500 series made in 1962

Looks like we've both got the model prior to the introduction of the "safety" carriage. I bought this 63T straight spur gear to tide me over until I repair the broken teeth on my wormwheel. I mounted it closest to the operator with a shim to take up the missing hub space. It works surprisingly well for not actually being a helical worm gear. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-Change-Degree-Pressure/dp/B004N62U32

I'm sure that I don't have the gear, but am curious as to what a 63T worm gear would look like.

OK. English terminology (worm wheel). I take it that the right end of 17 is the worm gear that drives it? In the photo, I can't really see any angle to the teeth.

OK. English terminology (worm wheel). I take it that the right end of 17 is the worm gear that drives it? In the photo, I can't really see any angle to the teeth.
Yes I believe that's right. The worm box (13) slides left and right. You can see the slots in the apron (1) where the handle of the worm box is raised into place. I believe the left slot drives the carriage forward and backwards, and the right slot drives the cross slide. So the same gear (17) drives both.

Thanks. And good luck with your search. If you go looking for a generic replacement, besides common things like PD and PA, you will also need to know the equivalent TPI or pitch angle (not to be confused with pressure angle) and the handedness (right or left).

Here is a picture of my factory 63-ish tooth gear. It's 16 diametral pitch, 14.5 pressure angle, 4.060" OD, 0.750" ID and the hub is 1.375" in depth. I asked a friend to braze new teeth but he's going with a dovetail insert instead. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Until then, I'm getting by with the Boston gear I linked earlier. Good luck on the search!

upload_2015-10-8_22-34-36.png

Here is a picture of my factory 63-ish tooth gear. It's 16 diametral pitch, 14.5 pressure angle, 4.060" OD, 0.750" ID and the hub is 1.375" in depth. I asked a friend to braze new teeth but he's going with a dovetail insert instead. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Until then, I'm getting by with the Boston gear I linked earlier. Good luck on the search!

View attachment 112159
How is that gear driven? Does it have a pin through the gear which goes through the shaft?

Referencing the parts layout above, power from the feed screw runs through the keyed gear #16 which meshes with gear #17. The worm on gear #17 runs either the carriage via gear #5 or the cross-feed via gear #6 when you move lever #15 to engage either one. #6 is the 63T worm gear in question. No pins, it rides on shaft #7 which is nominally 3/4".

In total, my 63T has 7-8 missing teeth 180 degrees opposed, meaning it was crashed hard enough that both the cross-slide and power feed pinion gears ripped a few teeth out each half. The power feed rod on my model has two 1/4" ball bearings pushed toward the outer diameter of the shaft by a spring. Under spring pressure, these balls catch two mating holes in a collar, driven by the gearbox, that surrounds the feed rod. This is intended to act as a clutch that slips when the carriage gear train binds up -- like during a crash. The ball bearings in mine are a lot harder than the alloy in the power feed shaft, however, and it just egged out the hole and kept spinning. Who knows how many decades ago that was, although it's interesting to piece the story of what happened together. An earlier version of this lathe just had a sacrificial split pin.

Last edited:
Back