Clausing 8520 Riser Block Help

opsoff1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am (attempting to) fabricate a column riser for a Clausing 8520 series mill. Trying to duplicate the riser made by Bill Gruby & Joeuser01 in this thread; Riser Block. I posted this on the WTB section, but thought I would duplicate it here too - Looking for a 4-5" long section of pipe - probably DOM, not sure of the alloy - but looking to weld it to A36.

TIA

Appreciate the lead - I checked on pricing for the 6" OD x .50" wall at 4" long - $192. + shipping. Trying to get out of this a little cheaper.
Probably need to haunt some shops for drops.

Could you perhaps cut up pieces of your plate to make a welded up hexagonal or octagonal riser?

A square (basically) would work also - just a different method - may be worth pursuing vs trying to source that size of pipe.

I looked at that - is that type of pipe/wall thickness strong/rigid enough for the application? Wall thickness is .280 and no idea what type of steel it is.

I have, however, made a Machining fixture for a H-53 rotor guide that used 3/4 × 2 x 16" long steel flat stock, pin aligned in place, then welded to 18" diameter by 1" thick rings for reworking. Worked out Great! Just thinking. Sizes are approximations, as I have the particulars in a notebook.

Perhaps something like these used up 4 inch wide cast / semi-steel stand up forklift load wheels would work? Do you have a local salvage /scrap yard?20240404_134350.jpg

Back