Clausing 8520 for sale in Atlanta

That is definitely better than average condition for a 50-70-year-old mill.

jack vines

That is definitely better than average condition for a 50-70-year-old mill.

jack vines
It is beautiful. The only reason for selling was I had the opportunity to buy a Wells-Index. This 8520 had less than a tenth tir on the spindle when the buyer checked it out.

Ok so Another one of these 8520 clausing mills just popped up on my local craigslist radar and Im 99.999999999⁹% sure its the same mill in the link i shared above in post #6!

Yeah im sure its very possible that it didnt sell like it shows in that earlier post and the owner choose to relist it this way to go after a higher price again! However there is different contact information as well as location being quite a distance away from the original listing address and the background is definitely a different spot.

Anyway I wonder what the deal was? Maybe the buyer thought it was better to seek Forgiveness vs Asking Permission and didnt get that forgiveness like he/she/they figured!

Or maybe im incorrect on my suspicion and this mill is just coincidentally similar......I Mean The way its setup the same with the same gouge marks in the table and grease spots on the cabinet door dont really prove anything!

Ok so Another one of these 8520 clausing mills just popped up on my local craigslist radar and Im 99.999999999⁹% sure its the same mill in the link i shared above in post #6!

Yeah im sure its very possible that it didnt sell like it shows in that earlier post and the owner choose to relist it this way to go after a higher price again! However there is different contact information as well as location being quite a distance away from the original listing address and the background is definitely a different spot.

Anyway I wonder what the deal was? Maybe the buyer thought it was better to seek Forgiveness vs Asking Permission and didnt get that forgiveness like he/she/they figured!

Or maybe im incorrect on my suspicion and this mill is just coincidentally similar......I Mean The way its setup the same with the same gouge marks in the table and grease spots on the cabinet door dont really prove anything!

That has to be the same mill, it has the same freakishly large quill down feed handle, same non-standard wheel on the knee (factory is a long handle), still missing the quill fine feed hand wheel, same aftermarket power feed on the right side (factory goes on the left), control box added to the column and same rather rough overall condition (they could have at least given it a Simple Green sponge bath to pretty it up).

Maybe somebody bought it thinking the seller didn't know what it was worth and they could flip it for a quick profit? Condition matters and all the ones I've seen listing at $2500 and selling quickly were in very good shape, like the one the OP was selling. This one has numerous non-standard replacement pieces and missing bits. It may be a perfectly fine mill, but they shouldn't be expecting to get the same price as one in great shape.

Something with the Clausing vertical mills is they are lightweight mills and relatively delicate compared to a Bridgeport or clone. I suspect most of the ones that have lasted 40-60 years to be offered for sale were well cared for, and those that weren't have been scraped.

The quill down feed handle on the mill in the ad looks like it is twice as long as stock. The 8520 spindles are a known weakness, so an extra large handle giving an operator the ability to really "get on it" can't be doing that one any favors. If you do go look at it, I'd give a good look at the spindle operation. The $1500 in the prior ad seemed a much more reasonable price to me based on appearance.

Last edited:
I’ll attach pictures now that the add is gone

Yours has the 4" spacer which gives it the same table to spindle as the 8530. If you look at the seam right above the Clausing tag on the column and compare to the stock column of the one on the ad Latinrascalrg1 posted you can see the difference. Yours has some distance (4") from the seam to the head swivel, where the second is just a short flange at the seam and then the swivel point.

short and tall.jpg

Last edited:
Back