Clausing 8520/8530 Tramming

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone with a 8520/8530 come up with a good mod/way to tram your mill ?
Was re-tramming mine yesterday and was bit of a pain.
Eyeball it, measure, tap tap tap, re-measure, tap tap tap, re-measure. Dang !!! too far !!! Tap tap tap....
I was thinking some kind of adjustment screw mounted to the over-arm for fine adjustment and maybe a mounted protractor for initial gross adjust would make tramming much easier.
Thought I'd ask if anyone here has come up with a good design.

Many moons ago I made this gage to Tram my 8520. In Tram in just a few minutes. The white nylon piece is the master for zero on both gages.

"Billy G"

102_1009 (800 x 531).jpg

Interesting Bill, looks a lot like the Pro Tram rig (http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pro-tram-system/).
I was more looking for something toclamp on the over-arm that the head and motor mount to that would allow for making small adjustments while tramming the head.
Figure it could help hold things in place while tightening down the over-arm as well.
Was trying to figure a way to integrate a protractor for making initial gross adjust for zero tram or off angles while angling the head.
I've got am idea how to make one, just have to get the material to do it and the time to make it.

Use a gauge of the style of the one that Bill showed and be done with it. If you have a machine which will also nod (like a BP), it handles that as well.

Last edited:
I agree with Bill and Robert. I do not yet have my tram gauge built, but I have the aluminum stock for the beam, and some stainless to use for the shank, as well as two dial indicators purchased just for this project. Guess what I am going to work on this weekend???

Many moons ago I made this gage to Tram my 8520. In Tram in just a few minutes. The white nylon piece is the master for zero on both gages.

Hey Billy G, how's the master zero nylon piece work ?

To the original issue, any ideas on some sort of lever or mechanism we can make for fine adjustment rotating the head while tramming with indicator on spindle to table?

So what you are looking for is like what they do on the G0704 mills, the little blocks with set screws to fine tune/set stop the head?

Probably since I have not seen the Grizzly setup. Also some way to rough turn the head with some sort of lever attachment rather than just hold the spindle to try to turn when bolts are tightened some.

Back