Clausing 6339 apron adjustment?

Jpro73

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I have a Clausing 6339 lathe, been using it for several years and is a great machine. My issue is that the apron gets pretty tight at the tailstock ens of the bed, which normally isn't an issue cause 99.9% of everything that I do on it is close to the headstock. Obviously someone has adjusted it for the wear at some point. My question is how is this done? I've done some research and have come up empty handed so far.

On my 6300 Clausing the only way to adjust the apron after re grinding the bed was to have the L shaped hold downs that ride on the underside of the ways ground down. If it is too tight you might be able to shim them. Short of regrinding the bed there is anyway I know of to adjust out what you are taking about.

Clausing's typical design was to shim a clamping plate of sorts to the bottom of the bed. Shims were used to take up the slack. As mentioned above, regrinding the bed so the top and bottom surfaces are a constant dimension is the best fix. However, you may try loosening the screws ever so slightly when working at a tight spot. Just remember to tighten them back up when you're out of the hard spots.

Bruce

1679870188579.png

Attachments

• Clausing 5900 carriage parts.pdf
    602 KB · Views: 0
I appreciate the information guy's. I'll check it out, thanks!

Back