Clausing 6307 lathe

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I aquired a Clausing 6307 12 inch lathe some time ago. It sounds like the spindle bearing are rough. Could be another bearing, but sounds like the spindle making the noise. I went to a site quoting bearings for this and other lathes and one bearing was $1200! And I need two, 045-003 and 045-004. I have not removed these bearings so I don’t know their make up or dimensions. But has anyone subituted a common bearing for these” Zero, tolerance “ bearings? Any help will be appreciated!

Bones

Attachments

• 141E2B43-E5DC-40F8-B928-21B0EFA0CED0.jpeg
    141E2B43-E5DC-40F8-B928-21B0EFA0CED0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Bones
are the bearing #,s Clausing numbers? Or do you know if that is the number etched on the bearing race? I have had good luck cross referencing numbers with other manufacturers. That being said, they are still going to be expensive.
Cheers
Martin

Those are the Clausing numbers, I have not pulled the bearings out to see the numbers. If the bearings are going to be real expensive, I’ll just change the oil, put in additives and listen to the noise. I just play with my lathe. Once I get the bearing number and or dimensions I‘m good to go as I have a set of cross over number books and a design and dimension book. Back in my productive days I used to change bearings to increase strength, mainly on farm tractor spindles. They broke a lot after the big hay bales came out!

Bones

If you go to a bearing supplier and give them the cup and cone part numbers, they will probably quote Class 2 and you can expect to pay around $200 for a cup and cone. Atlas and presumably Clausing supplied Class 3 bearings at least for the spindle and you can expect to pay $300 to $500 for each cup and cone. If you only pay $100 or less (for one cup and one cone), you are probably getting Class 4 or worse (which Timken claims not even to make) and the bearings will have been made in China, India or elsewhere.

Hi boneyard51, I have a 6329. It is very similar to your lathe. What oil is supposed to be in these lathes? I know there is gear lube in my gearbox, I put it there. The headstock has the right amount of I don't know what in it. It gets warm rather quickly when run at it's higher speeds.

Hi boneyard51, I have a 6329. It is very similar to your lathe. What oil is supposed to be in these lathes? I know there is gear lube in my gearbox, I put it there. The headstock has the right amount of I don't know what in it. It gets warm rather quickly when run at it's higher speeds.
I’m really not sure what oil is recommended. But lathes are just machines! Nothing different than any other gear box. They are all made out of metal. I would have no problem putting any good quality gear oil in a lathe that has gears only! If it has clutches.... well, you should put what is recommended . Bones

Since reading your posting, I have been poking around looking at oil that could be used in a lathe headstock. It looks like the choices are, synthetic spindle/turbine oil (expensive), an ISO hydraulic oil (spendy but affordable), or a mineral oil, which is what was originally recommended back in the 50s and 60s. Non detergent of course.
I will see what is available from Tractor Supply.
I think what I want is ISO 46 hydraulic oil

Since reading your posting, I have been poking around looking at oil that could be used in a lathe headstock. It looks like the choices are, synthetic spindle/turbine oil (expensive), an ISO hydraulic oil (spendy but affordable), or a mineral oil, which is what was originally recommended back in the 50s and 60s. Non detergent of course.
I will see what is available from Tractor Supply.
I think what I want is ISO 46 hydraulic oil
Hydraulic oil, has a different job to do! It actually has several jobs to do, one is transferring energy. This is not necessary in a lathe head gear box. Don’t over think it. When I redo my Clausing 6307 I will fill the headstock gear box with 60 weight Harley Davidson oil! Why? Because I have a bunch I don’t need anymore, as I don’t ride my Shovelhead much anymore. Hydraulic oil is not as “ slippery “ as engine oil or gear oil. Use what is best for the gears! Not a compromise!

Bones

Hydraulic oil, has a different job to do! It actually has several jobs to do, one is transferring energy. This is not necessary in a lathe head gear box. Don’t over think it. When I redo my Clausing 6307 I will fill the headstock gear box with 60 weight Harley Davidson oil! Why? Because I have a bunch I don’t need anymore, as I don’t ride my Shovelhead much anymore. Hydraulic oil is not as “ slippery “ as engine oil or gear oil. Use what is best for the gears! Not a compromise!

Bones
Engine oil is not a good thing to use .........

Back