Clausing 6300 x 12"

Re: Clausing 6300 x 12"

Well this what my spud will mimic.
Probably another dumb question but does it matter what type of material I use for this.
I have a chunck of steel in mind and I don't know what kind of steel it is but I'm thinking that it really doesn't matter for the spud, right?
Ed

IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

It won't make much difference, other than how it machines. If it's hard, it won't be easy, but if it's not too hard, it will do just fine.

Hey Rick,
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try and chuck it in the morning and see if my 8 inch chuck will hold that back plate. That will eliminate that whole making of the spud procedure. I am trying to give it a nice finish and of course I want to be as true as I can possibly get it. I think I can get it to within .001".

On another note, my heavy 10 seams to have a the slippery belt problem ... again. So that will slow me down a until I can either replace the belt or clean it up again. I'm using the heavy 10 to do all this work and so now I'm noticing that I am not able to make heavy cuts because the the belt keeps slipping.
So today I decided to move forward on the rest of the Clausing. I want to continue to tear it down and strip the old paint off and then repaint it. I have the bedways with the apron and saddle still mounted on it so I disassembled that today.
I guess next I want to remove the bedways off the table top. There are the 4 bolts for securing it to the table aswell as for leveling, I suppose.
Is there anything I need to be aware of as I remove this from the table.
Ed

IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0445.JPG

So anyway, back to the making of my spindle nut.
My apologies for the major delay in keeping this thread going but, you guys know how it is. I guess I'm one of those guys who just takes on more amore projects and then some of them get neglected and/or forgotten.
So now I've come to the point where I begin to machine the internal threads of my spindle nut. I'm guessing that first I must determine what thread pitch or how many threads per inch I have so I can set up my lathe gear box. Right?
I also bought a thread wire set so I can determine exactly how many threads per inch I'm looking at.
So is that why I need to do the 3 wire measuring method?
I guess I'm a little confused about this 3 wire method and what it is for exactly.
Please feel free to educate me.
Ed

IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG

Hey JB, Here's a couple of pics I took just this morning. I hope this will helps. I'm thinking that your gearbox should be very similar to mine if not the same thing. It's a pic of the blue print I'm guessing so that it can be remade. I think it would be nice to have all that information engraved on that piece of plexiglass or whatever it is. That's what I'm intending for mine anyway.
If it isn't right then you can call clausing and ask them to send you a blue print. If you don't want to do that, let me know if you want me to make a copy and send it to you. I think your in central California, right? Your not that far away.
Ed

is there anywhere else at all that I can get these pictures from because my phone just is refusing to let me download them...... better living through overly controlled information I suppose also I have a model 200 clausing pre atlas. serial number 243 I believe I am assuming that the gear ratios are probably the same in my quick change as yours...?

Ed,

The 3-wire method is for measuring pitch diameter, not pitch. For pitch you need a pitch gauge, which looks something like a short piece of bandsaw blade with no tooth set. I hope that you got the set of tables with the wires.

Actually, you'd probably be better off calling Clausing and asking them for the specs on your spindle threads. They still have some tech support for the older Clausing and Atlas lathes.

Robert D.

Back