Clausing 5914 - Clutch not disengaging properly

Ecosta777

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,
I've been fixing up my new to me 5914 (Awesome upgrade from the SB 9"!) And I'm having some trouble with the clutch.

I had the clutch out to clean it and replace the bearings, I did not disassemble the clutch though. My problem is that the clutch will not disengage when I throw the clutch lever into the off position.The mechanical linkage is working properly, and it moves it far enough away that it will disengage, it's just not doing it right away.

I have tried loosening the adjustment until it does not engage at all, and then work from there. It will disengage as it should when the clutch is just barely engaging. In other words, the spindle will spin, but it's obvious there is clutch slip. Once I get to the point that it engages fully and properly, or tighter than that, the clutch will not disengage as soon as I throw the clutch lever. It takes a few moments for it to release. I took a quick video, but I was not able to duplicate the length I have been experiencing when I shot it (at most probably 30 seconds). But you still can tell from the video what is happening.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wish I had something more to say. I just bought a 5913 so I will be following your journey.

Have you checked out the clausing groups.io? There was someone with the same problem. A few people suggested checking for a worn profile on the disengagement cam/tooth, but the OP there fixed it by cleaning the clutch with brake cleaner.

Have you checked out the clausing groups.io? There was someone with the same problem. A few people suggested checking for a worn profile on the disengagement cam/tooth, but the OP there fixed it by cleaning the clutch with brake cleaner.
Thanks for the tip, the brake cleaner seemed to work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back