Clarkson - new addition

kiwi_007

Registered
Registered
Last week I visited the local tool dealer to pick up a tailstock for my rotary table and spied a Clarkson T&C grinder.
Looking at it the grinder it looked quite tidy, but incomplete, I talked to the dealer about it and a deal was struck, so today a Clarkson was delivered.
The only tooling with it was a set of centre castings and a couple of finger rest castings. Included with it was 5 brand new cup wheels.
Just like I need another project ;)

Now I'm searching for Clarkson tooling.

IMG_5780.jpg

interesting design. Would love to see more details. Does the spindle head move up and down relative to the table? So the spindle head rotates?

Yes the spindle head moves up and down and the table rotates, in relation to the spindle.
It's quite a compact unit compared to most T&C grinders.

With most tool and cutter grinders it’s the accessories that are expensive.

True, but at a certain point the attachments are universal. I'm wondering where the precision feeds are, without those it may as well be a saw blade sharpener.

True, but at a certain point the attachments are universal. I'm wondering where the precision feeds are, without those it may as well be a saw blade sharpener.
Clarkson used these machines to sharpen the endmills and milling cutters they sold, so I'm pretty sure the grinder is more useful than a saw blade sharpener.
It seems they sold a large number of these machines also, but for some reason most of the tooling sold with the machines has parted company with the machine.

but for some reason most of the tooling sold with the machines has parted company with the machine.
This is very common and very frustrating. It was one of the reasons I bought my Chinese Deckel copy because it came with almost everything to grind endmills. 99% of the T&C grinders I saw on Craigslist and eBay were just the grinder and no attachments and are somewhat useless without attachments. I have no idea if the sellers were keeping the attachments or selling them separately but like was noted they were often as much as the grinder if you could find them. The big question for me with the Clarkson is does it have enough adjustment to be able to use say a generic universal vise as it’s pretty tall. Or will only the Clarkson vise work? These kinds of questions can make me crazy as specific info can be hard to find.

I have a manual in zip form. Even compressed, it's still over 3 Mb. Unfortunately, it was put together as a whole bunch of jpg and other files, rather than one pdf file. How can I get something that big to you?

Back