Clamping the workpiece at an angle on the vice

compact8

Registered
Registered
I am wondering if anyone has attempted to make use of this kind of digital angle finder or protractor to quickly set the workpiece at the wanted angle on the vice. I have bought one at a good price ( ~ 8 USD ) and measurement with my DRO-equipped mill indicates that the error is within 0.1 degree which is good for 99.9% of my work. Still thinking about the set up. Very likely some simple fixtures will need be made. Would like to hear you guys' opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_6604.jpg
    IMG_6604.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 58
Me being an old timer , I find a sine bar to be the easiest and most accurate method for any angle set-ups . It also doesn't need batteries . That being said , the tool is likely accurate enough for most applications as you said . :)

Me being an old timer , I find a sine bar to be the easiest and most accurate method for any angle set-ups . It also doesn't need batteries . That being said , the tool is likely accurate enough for most applications as you said . :)
Sine bar is accurate but my understanding is that it is not usable for small workpieces unless the vice is mounted on an angle plate which I don't have.

I use my angle finder mainly to double check the setup after sine bars and gage blocks and a page of math have done their thing. I also like that you can reset to zero at any angle, and rotate from there…kind of an “inc” setting. That has been handy working on an already tilted table.

I have an iGaging digital level which I have used in the past for setting machining angles.

Also handy are angle blocks in sets, they can work to 1/4 degree, I like the type that B&S made that have an end stop so that they can be stacked for the smaller blocks.

I’ve never see a digital one, Mine is a Stanley Pat’d 7-14-08. That is I presume 1908.
8 bucks?. I gotta have one.
i can’t wait to use it with my neighbor when we’re working on our barns.
he gives me a hard time when I try to measure to a quarter inch or so.
wait ‘til I try to get cuts to part of a degree. Ha!
all kidding aside, I have a small square digital level that I use all the time on the mill, I can see where this will come in handy for set-ups on the mill, thanks.
Cheers, Mr Hobby Mac

A simple solution is to make a 3 pin fixture where the part sits on two pins bored at an angle and a stop pin. These are great for repeat parts with a bonus that the angle to be machined can be measured from the top of the fixture.
3 pin fixture.jpg

The sine bar does need a set of gauge blocks, something on my list, but not yet in my tool cabinet.

The sine bar does need a set of gauge blocks, something on my list, but not yet in my tool cabinet.
No it doesn't . No need to set blocks up with a 1 piece sine bar .

Back