Cincinnati Toolmaster makes its way to my shop

Phil_C

Registered
Registered
New to me Cincinnati Toolmaster 1B post 1961 model. Bought it without seeing it in person, pictures showed a decent machine with “honest” use. Not a “Navy” model in that it sported its original coat or maybe second coat of paint not 10 or more. I was looking for this in a used mill. It made the trip from NE coast to Montana upright and without getting hit with a lift or anything or rather, anything that hurt it.

Just got it running had it for a little over week cleaning and checking it out. Opened the power down feed and the gears do not look warn at all, same for the x feed gearing. I replaced the outer seal for the clutch knob was able to cross it from the original CR number to a National 50151S.

Drained and refilled the x table drive discovered a leak, the outer bearing from the motor input side was shot replace it SKF 62052-2RSJ and a 6201-2RSJ, only the 205 needed replacing, it is shielded and acts as the oil seal. Running nice and quietly as does the spindle.

I will need to replace the spindle seal at some point and look at the jack shaft idler as the manual is correct about too tight more noise, but it looks a little warn but it’s making chips.

This is really a pleasure to work on, clean the gunk out of the Allen heads and break them loose and unscrew them by hand, perfect threads. The covers I have had off the fit is just amazing. The people that made this were true craftsmen, 60 years later I’m looking what they built in total awe at the skill and dedication to their craft to produce this thing.

I have some pretty good pictures of what the insides of the feed drives look like and will post later.

Phil

The nerve..... no photos?

That was bad form, I thought I could get away with the part numbers :).

Forgive the mess I wanted to run it to see what I had, the electrical will get cleaned up, that's 2 little VFDs on the wall, I removed the starters and switches replaced the control panel with new i made quickly for the table feed and the speed pots. I have to get something that can pick it up to get the palet gone and the mill in the corner there. The work the makers did on this thing was incredible.

Attachments

• P8220066 (2).JPG
    P8220066 (2).JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 48
  • P9010088.JPG
    P9010088.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P9010093 (2).JPG
    P9010093 (2).JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 50
  • P8270082.JPG
    P8270082.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Oh and had to replace one of the shifters, I wasn't the first to do it. This was the only sacrifice to the shipping gods, I do have the original green knob saved.

Attachments

• P8280086 (2).JPG
    P8280086 (2).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
Good acquisition. I have had mine (a 1D) for ~5 years, it is great. Enjoy.

Congratulations. I have a tool master as well and haven't been able to decide exactly which model it is. I called Cincinnati and must have gotten the wrong guy, he told me they would charge me $90 an hour to tell me!!!. Yours looks very similar, I'll have to check it closer later. Riding a steep learning curve while being very happy with it so far.

I'm in northwest Montana.

Looking forward to hearing more about yours.

OK 2 of these in MT! I got it moved over into the corner and it really frees up the space! I rented a fork lift to lift it off the pallet they'd shipped it on and I thought I lost it when it was still heavy on the front. I didn't leave enough slack in the chain to let it down all the way and had to deal with that.... took a good while and a couple pair of shorts but I did end up with it down safe. I cleaned up the jaws and then got the Vise set over the 10 inches on the jaws I'm better than .001 so happy with that. Other than that seal below the spindle bearings which I think they all pretty much need I think its good to go. Happy with the purchase so the guys I bought it from seem to be alright, no unpleasant surprises.

Attachments

• 20220510_190434.jpg
    20220510_190434.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220510_190503.jpg
    20220510_190503.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220510_190539.jpg
    20220510_190539.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220510_190545.jpg
    20220510_190545.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220510_190702.jpg
    20220510_190702.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
I thought it’d a good idea to clean out the table and saddle oiling passages by filling the reservoir with WD-40 and running that through there. WRONG! It broke loose old oil waxy crap and plugged up the Bijur metering fittings under the table.

In order to fix it I had to get the table to slide about halfway off saddle, so I took the table drive off.

Notice the missing washer on the thrust bearing, don’t worry I didn’t loose it. Fortunately it was caught by the drive itself where it rested safely on the bottom gearbox waiting for me to retrieve it later.

These gears and stuff just come off one at a time held on by what will seem like 57 truarc’s. Removed the large clip on the bearing when I got to it and used the leadscrew and a block of wood to pull the bearing out of the apron housing. The table is now ready to slide over to the right so you can access the block with he metering fittings.

Having Youtube’d this to death and seeing no springs in these meters, I opted for burning them with a torch. Didn’t take a lot to make a “dry” fitting pour melted wax out and throw fire. Cooled them down and put them in solvent for a few minutes then back on the block and put everything back together.

I was afraid that it was going to be a pain in the tail but the fit of everything is great followed that manual I downloaded and was careful to support the table when I moved it way over. Did some cleaning while i could reach under here.

I thought about replacing the seals on the lead screw while I had it out put the oil level in the drive gear box is below this and I didn't want to press the bearing off the leadscrew and screw it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 6
The real question here is what would you have done differently instead of the WD-40??

What manual did you use? My Google foo is bad, I hardly find anything online for these mills. After looking at yours I now know I have a 1B.

What oils are you using?

Glad you were able to get it fixed and back together. Nothing like a few minute job turning into a major job.

Back