Chucks and Rotary tables

skipd1

Registered
Registered
I just acquired a nice 6" vert/horz rotary table. It takes a MT2 center. My question is what kind of 3 or 4 jaw chuck do I purchase and how is it attached to the table for use on my mill?

Regards,

Skip

The most straightforward means is to use tee nuts and appropriate socket head cap screws to mount it on the table. A typical three jaw has only 3 mounting holes, however, and necessitates a sub plate mounted to the table, and drilled/tapped for the chuck. The Morse taper doesn't come into play here unless you want to just stick a drill chuck into it for small work, and then it isn't really designed for side pressure.

I got my H/V rotary table from MSC, ( Accu-Pro ), and it has 3 slots instead of 4. Well, Murphy must've been asleep, as I had an elderly 5" Cushman 3 jaw that has 3 mounting holes as Tony said. I made tee nuts to fit the table and used cap screws as per Tony. To center the chuck I dropped a center in the table, put the chuck on it, snugged the jaws and bolted it down.:))

Go to the search box, and type in (chuck adapter plate) its a old post of mine.
Shows lots of pics of chuck mounting on the lathe headstock, rotary table,3 and 4 jaw. It should give you some idea,s

For the most part, a 3 jaw works for most jobs. As far as mounting a 3 jaw, I allways use a plain back chuck, and just flip it over and drill the hole right through. This allows easy mounting to your table. The 4 jaw has mounting bolt in the front allready. But will you need to put the chuck on a plate first? All depends on how many slots your rotary table has. 3 jaw, will go on a 6 slot table, 4 jaw will need a plate on a 6 slot table. So the table will sometimes dictate what chuck 3 or 4 jaw. If your adding a sub plate, then you can do anything you want.

Back