Chuck Run Out

I understand those instructions. It makes sense to me. Cleanup the OD of the plate to make sure it runs the same as the register. This is a diagnostic cut, and then clean up the face of the hub, if it continues to be out more than the register. then I can adjust in the chuck.

Ok - that resulted in a TIR of 001. Slightly better than the register. I think we are cooking with gas now.

I'm not sure I can get a good measurement in the center of the chuck's bore. Its not super clean in terms of surface finish. But I understand the need to measure where the work is held and adjust the fit of the chuck to make make sure the work rotates on the axis of the same center.

Thank you for the help so far. I was happy the machine actually made chips vs rubbing the plate down. lol Sometimes its the little victories that bring joy.

IMG_2133.jpg

I am confused here. Even if there is run out in a chuck when you turn something doesn't what you are turning become concentric to the axis of the lathe with no run out? Joe Pie has a video where he intentionally made the chuck have lots of run out. Yet the part he turned had no run out. Every thing that spins has an axis that it is spinning on. Once you start turning the run out is cut away and the part becomes concentric to the axis. If this wasn't true you could never turn anything on a lathe to be concentric.

I am confused here. Even if there is run out in a chuck when you turn something doesn't what you are turning become concentric to the axis of the lathe with no run out? Joe Pie has a video where he intentionally made the chuck have lots of run out. Yet the part he turned had no run out. Every thing that spins has an axis that it is spinning on. Once you start turning the run out is cut away and the part becomes concentric to the axis. If this wasn't true you could never turn anything on a lathe to be concentric.
Also, why worry about that with a 4 jaw?

I'm trying to learn so please bare with me , even on a 4 jaw independent chuck wouldn't you also need to check the face of the chuck so it's running true or I guess where it mounts to the back plate too ?

4 Jaw independent chucks don't have to be absolutely true with no run out. The theory being that you dial in whatever you are turning with the chuck jaws so the work runs true. The chuck itself could be way out with a massive amount of run out yet once the work is dialed in it runs true. And as soon as you start making cuts the work will be concentric to the spindle axis even if you didn't get it perfectly dialed in.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help here. I’ve put in a ton of hours just making chips and practicing cuts on the materials you’ve suggested.

I’m by no means an expert. But I understand in part the suggestions to get to know the feel of the machine.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Back