Chuck options

If you need a really good grip on a part that is too big for a collet, you can make a set of jaws and bore them to a hair over the diameter of your work. Instead of a thin broken line contact that is typical with standard jaws, you'll get a wide solid line contact. Also, freshly bored soft jaws will not be bell mouthed.

I think 2-piece jaws are an indication of better build quality, even if you don't need soft jaws. Also, if there is a single pinion, that's a good sign but I've never seen that on a 3-jaw.

Consider that the jaws for these chucks can be treated as a consumable. I think you can get a 2nd set of jaws for 20-$ or so.

I just wish they made a 2 piece 4"/100mm chuck. Make my life a heck of a lot easier. Don't particularly want to hunt out a 5" / 125mm one then buy an adapter to fit the blinkin thing....

The simple solution is to buy a bigger lathe.

We're here to help.

Quite! However, space constraints limit me at the moment to a 7x. Do plan on a bigger lathe at some point, providing I can either find or make room for one.

I hope any readers make a clear distinction between chucks with 2 piece jaws and 2 jaw chucks.
I think 2 jaw chucks have their place in a shop but they are not interchange able with chucks with 3 or more jaws.

Daryl
MN

2 piece jaws, yes - love them. I now have a few machines and a variety of chucks (3, 4 & 6 J, one piece or 2 piece jaws), basically it depends on what you are doing as to what is best, regardless either work. I recently bought a 10” 4J, direct mount, in the catalogue it was offered with 2 piece jaws. In practice it is uncommon to have 2 piece jaws on a 4J (with a 4J you can flip the jaws, also it unlikely one would use soft jaws in a 4J chuck) - it took 6 months to get, probably came direct from the Bison factory (with one piece jaws it was stock in Edmonton). It cost dearly, but it works awesome.

I bought it to fix my bad karma (and the axial alignment of the old 4J was off kilter) - when I bought the lathe 40+ years ago I accidentally drilled into one of the chuck jaws (working on an off center piece) - probably one of the first times I had used it, still brand new. Ever since, that “owie” was a reminder to my mistake. Perhaps it saved me from other goof ups. Regardless I‘ve a nice piece of bling to remind me to be careful.

I am a fan of soft jaws for the 3J, can’t see doing that with the 4J - but now I easily could.

So, yes 2 piece jaws are nice - not usually a game changer.

2 piece can asist in your quest for perfect run out.

Also, if there is a single pinion, that's a good sign but I've never seen that on a 3-jaw.
I have two Buck 3-jaw adjust-tru chucks that have a single pinion. Both are 8" model 4831...older, still made in the U.S.

I just wish they made a 2 piece 4"/100mm chuck. Make my life a heck of a lot easier. Don't particularly want to hunt out a 5" / 125mm one then buy an adapter to fit the blinkin thing....
It might be possible to make one... Mill off the top of the jaw. They're not very hard. You'll need some grooves and threaded holes but in principle, it would be a fairly easy modification.

It might be possible to make one... Mill off the top of the jaw. They're not very hard. You'll need some grooves and threaded holes but in principle, it would be a fairly easy modification.
Nice idea if you have a mill, which I don't at the moment and no access to one either sadly.

Back