Chuck cleaning

BWS Arms

Registered
Registered
I got a used chuck that I want to clean up. It doesn’t have any heavy rust just a patina. Will evaporust take off the patina?

Yes I think it will work well. soak scrub a bit with hot water to get the black film off, dry and apply light oil so it doesn't flash rust. I've cleaned quite a few tools up this way and had good results.

I've used Evaporust to clean chucks...

Before...

20220104_152330.jpg

And after...

20220107_124943.jpg

There was also some polishing done with scotchbrite hand pads... Evaporust won't leave a shiny surface.

-Bear

That’s what I’m looking for. I will try the evaporust and scothbrite.

Don't be tempted to leave it in Evaporust for more than two or three hours at a time, you may get a reaction known as "Carbon Surfacing".

Have a look at this video by Joe Pie. Start at 0:50 onwards as he talks about Evaporust and some of the "issues" associated with long submersion of items in the solution.

Last edited:
Don't be tempted to leave it in Evaporust for more than two or three hours at a time, you may get a reaction known as "Carbon Surfacing".

Have a look at this video by Joe Pie. Start at 0:50 onwards as he talks about Evaporust and some of the "issues" associated with long submersion of items in the solution.

Here is an extreme example from Eric of what can happen if items are left in Evapo-Rust too long:

I've left a cast iron part in for over a year before, leading to extreme pitting on the surface.

I usually leave parts soaking for 24 hours... it comes out clean with no damage at all.

Never use evaporust on any type of spring, though, unless you want it broken...

-Bear

I've left a cast iron part in for over a year before, leading to extreme pitting on the surface.

I usually leave parts soaking for 24 hours... it comes out clean with no damage at all.

Never use evaporust on any type of spring, though, unless you want it broken...

-Bear
I already did a test of spring steel in evapo rust, I didn't have a problem.
I do believe any acid or electrolysis will create a hydrogen embrittlement.

I think I’m going for soak it in the parts washer first and see how it comes out. The combination of kerosene and scotchbrite may save me a trip to town to get evaporust.

Back