Chuck bolts or chuck studs and nuts

silence dogood

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I noticed that on Dan's hobbies u-tube he puts studs in his chucks. He then mounts his chuck on the spindle and then fasten the three nuts to hold the chuck. He has a 8x12HF similar to mine. This would also apply to other lathes that have the same kind of spindle. It appears to be a easier and better way to mount a chuck then using three bolts. Any one else done this? If so, it would be nice to have some feedback.

I have used the early HF 6X12 quite a bit. Mine used the described system from the factory. I installed longer setscrews so they would bottom out but still extend enough to use the nuts.

Thanks for the response, Bill, Mounting and unmounting these can be a bit of a hassle. I've made a chuck cradle for the three jaw and it helps a lot. I think using studs will help in lining up the holes. I'm not the only one that's worried about letting a chuck slip out of my hands. My wife also likes to play with the lathe even though she's good at placing a board and a rag on the ways.

I used to have a HF8x12(14) also. I never converted my chucks to studs as I kept a 6-jaw on there most of the time but it is a good idea. Quicker & easier than using a stubby hex wrench for the SHCSs.

I'm stating the obvious but keep in mind that the spindle flange has counterbores for the SHCSs. So you'll have to use washers for the nuts or if possible flange nuts. Not sure if flange nuts in that size will cover the counterbores. I wouldn't want to fumble with washers as that defeats the purpose of using studs to make chuck changes quicker.

If I were to do it I'd probably fill the counterbores with spacers or make my own oversized flange nuts.

Thank guys for helping me to think this out. The original bolts were Allen head socket bolts that fitted inside the counter bore holes that was dreadful :dread:. Using flange hex head bolts helped a lot. Since I just finished making a chuck cradle for the 3 jaw, I'll just add studs and use flange nuts. It's easy enough to reverse this mod if I don't like it. This may seem like a small deal, but I just got a new 5c chuck. This will help me to design the back plate that I need to make.

I decided to add the studs and use flanged nuts. Put slots in the studs so that I can use a screw driver. Still need to add some blue locktight. Heres some pictures. Made the cradle so that I can store the extra jaws and chuck key. Always was worried about misplacing the jaws. Under the lathe is a place to store the cradle with the chuck. I'll just make sure that I don't misplace the lathe.
DSC01780.JPG
DSC01781.JPG

Anything you will assemble and disassemble frequently is better with studs for the following reasons. 1: Studs usually make it easier to mount to the correct location as they semi-support whatever is being fastened. 2: A stud once in place should rarely have to be removed therefore the thread it screws into stays in prime condition. 3: With a stud in the threaded hole no ****e, crap or corruption can get in the threaded hole. 4: If the thread on the end of the stud does get damaged it is easy to fit a new stud. 5: Studs are great - all the girls tell me that.

Norton, every thing that you stated so well is absolutely correct since now I got the proof in the pudding. Except for number 5. My wife tells me that I'm a great stud except when I do something goofy, then she calls me a nut. o_O

Back