Chuck and Arbor divorcing!

I have had good luck with heating the chuck 200-250 degrees abd then slaming it home while still hot. bill

Wedges sometimes works. For me, I drill a 3/8" or 1/2" hole thru the center of the chuck from the jaw side. Once you do this, set the chuck on a piece of tubing with an ID slightly bigger than the chuck arbor is. Take a drift, insert in hole (drift pin does not need to be any longer than about 1/2" sticking up above the chuck) strike with a 2 lb. hammer. If it doesn't pop loose, strike again. If after a few strikes, it doesn't come loose, put back in lathe, drill hole deeper into arbor, about 1" to 1-1/4" deep and try again. It should come loose after relieving the center of the arbor. If not, cut off arbor and drill completely out from opposite end.

I think the biggest factor is get the impact to the taper and not loosing any in the vice, bench or else where. Make sure you have a nice solid work area. And a bigger hammer might help.

As someone said above use "blue" (a very light, even coating!) to check the mating of any ID to OD (especially tapers) ifn' they are supposed to match....ifn' at least around 70% or more doesn't match (around 100% at "top and bottom") lapping compound can be used to "hand grind" them in....then just a solid,hard, straight "knock" or press and the 2 mates will be hard to get apart (note: using some various set ups and an indicator yoose' can knock the chuck around to get it dead nuts on center...another note: Probably chucks, jaws, and collets in lathes and mills, even in professional shops, get the most abuse due to wrecks and tool "spinning", galling...

I normally ''set'' the chuck by slamming the back of the arbor as hard as I can on a solid surface, like a vice anvil or other solid, large chunk of steel. Mind your hand when you do this. The only time I've ever had one come off is when I tried milling with and end mill, chucks are not made for that operation.
End mills are one heck of a way to remove a stuck one tho.

I'd also suggest lapping them.

Back