Choosing a vise

Hi guys,
I know is 1 year later but I am looking for a vise too? Any advices, I got the pm940m and I am a newbie.

Tim
For my PM 833TV (8" x 33" table) I purchased the Shars Tegara 660U 6" CNC vise and have been very happy. For me, it's a great balance between price and quality. I'd say the quality is very high. It seems all the shars Tegara vises are of similar nature... so pick your style. I'm not sure a Kurt or other premium brand would do anything extra or more precise for my general milling as a hobby. I'm sure they are better for various reasons... but I may never realize it, so what's the point.

I like the 660U because it wasn't as long as the standard 6" vise, doesn't overhang the table as much. Though in retrospect, another 1-2" overhang isn't really a big deal, but I do like the compactness of it. You already have a larger table than the 833 TV.

I put a speed handle on it, never take it off and it's been great.

There have been a few times a shorter in height vise would have helped, height goes fast. I use the royal r8 quick change, lose an inch, put a large drill chuck, lose 3-4", then your drill bit/end mill, vise, work piece and all of a sudden I have no room left. That 20" capacity disappeared! A shorter 4" vise, would have saved 7/8" of an inch and every inch is valuable. For me, I probably would be perfectly ok with a 4" vise, but I'll sacrifice height for the wider 6" jaws.

If I were to do it again, or have a very specific project to switch it for... I'd consider two 4" vises side by side. But I didn't know that until I started using it and really getting an idea for the types of projects I'm using it for. I'm sure that's not the end all be all solution either.

So, that may not help at all... but it seems there are a lot of good value based vises out there. Machinist budget, basically, everything is expensive.

Just another beginner at this myself, so take that into consideration!

I have 4 6" Kurts down here if you want to take a short drive .
Hi guys,

I know is 1 year later but I am looking for a vise too? Any advices, I got the pm940m and I am a newbie.

@Shotgun I really like your analysis.

I agree, mostly with your conclusions. We depart on 2 points, which it would be worthwhile for novices to be aware of.

1) By putting emphasis on how integral using a vise is to the operation of a mill, it can help a novice to be aware of how a poor vise can contribute to problems they might be having. If a novice wants to use a tool - as a tool - and not have to worry about its shortcomings, then dollars spent on a good vise makes sense (for them). They do, however miss out on some of the adventure of chasing why a work piece climbed out of the vise and broke the cutter (!!). Seriously there is some good practical knowledge in going through 'all the steps'

2) When a person goes to the trouble of asking what to buy, the implied contract is 'what to avoid'. I wish someone had give *me* the advice (40+ years ago) that I can now give to others. Frankly a lot of the bottom end stuff is selling you the concept of the working vise, but not a real, working one. That is why I prefer to suggest someone buy a trustworthy vise that is probably one they will grow out of instead of one they will have to replace for the reasons you have had to replace your earliest one. The smaller one will find its way into other uses around the shop or mill. The smaller, hardier vises usually cost the same or less than larger junky ones.

@tim81 Take @mmcmdl on his offer. he will give you a deal you cannot beat, and you will never have to worry about your jaws lifting or your casting breaking in half.

If you need to start out ion the SUPER economy route, then buy a cheap offshore grinding vise like this one. They will serve you will for small parts, and can be use with a large vise to hold angles, and many other uses later.

LOL Dab , I just went by his town last week . Maybe going up in another 2 weeks . :grin:

I love Pennsyltucky. I suits me better than nyc and people are friendlier and down to the ground. So if you happen to pass by I will buy you a beer.

PM sent . Just checked , I do have 4 .

I am shocked at the quality of my Grizzly mill vise. I bought a 4'' and now wish I got a 5'' but it works very well and has minimal lift.

I don't know where you are on the age scale. I am at a point where I must consider my body before lifting. I recently had need to buy a vice for my PM833. I went 4-inch because (1) the weight is so much smaller than a 6 inch and (2) the size makes it easier to optimize positioning. I find I am willing to remove the 4-inch if I want a set up directly on the table. Plus, right now I don't envision needing bigger for what I do.

I went with Tegara 440V. The Glacern 4" is also a fine choice. I almost bought that one. Don't recall at the moment what tipped me to Tegara. Probably some arcane detail like the size of the alignment blocks on the bottom.

My advice here is to compare size and weight specifications (Shars/Tegara publish theirs) and make informed decisions in that regard. If you need 6" and don't mind heaving it around your shop, go for it.

I don't know where you are on the age scale. I am at a point where I must consider my body before lifting. I recently had need to buy a vice for my PM833. I went 4-inch because (1) the weight is so much smaller than a 6 inch and (2) the size makes it easier to optimize positioning. I find I am willing to remove the 4-inch if I want a set up directly on the table. Plus, right now I don't envision needing bigger for what I do.

I went with Tegara 440V. The Glacern 4" is also a fine choice. I almost bought that one. Don't recall at the moment what tipped me to Tegara. Probably some arcane detail like the size of the alignment blocks on the bottom.

My advice here is to compare size and weight specifications (Shars/Tegara publish theirs) and make informed decisions in that regard. If you need 6" and don't mind heaving it around your shop, go for it.
In early 40s

Back