Choosing a new mill

If it were me I'd choose variable speed, power feed can be added later . But not the other way around . Try talking to the wife , see if you can make some extra money , sell something or get a part time job for a few months. If it comes to choosing go variable , YUPP won't be sorry , the power feeds can be had for around $200.00. Not hard to install . I own an old enco mill like that grizzly. I needs some work eventually ill be able to do it and several more machines.

I forgot welcome to the site , good luck with your mill, I'm jealous

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here.
I initially tried the Bridgeport route, nothing that was not a scrap heap within 300 miles under $3000.
Had a good deal on a Enco Bridgeport (Taiwan) clone with tons of tooling. It was 5 hrs away, moving was $4K.

The issue is my location, very rural. NW WI on the end of a gravel road, I need to get the machine to my garage up a 300 ft gravel driveway with a elevation gain of 40 ft.

Last week I tried to buy the Grizzly G0678. A week later they said the closest they could get it was a freight terminal 3 hours away.

Looked at getting a PM932 with power feed and DRO, more than $500 less than the Grizzly.

They originally said they could ship anywhere in the US. Gave them my address, now they are not sure.

I found a local trucking company that can do a lift gate at my garage.

Sent the info to both , waiting for new quotes.

Bottom line: I still prefer the knee mill over the PM with all the bells and whistles.

Any thoughts?

Every time I hear people talking about spindle speeds, feed rates and such, I think of one of my old bosses. He had the Wells-Index (his machine) set at about 2500 rpms, never changed it. He would speed up or slow down the table speed, until it sounded right (to him). The parts always were workable and end mills seem to last forever. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but it seemed to work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
That has always been my approach, I've used high spindle speeds with hand feed rates, go with what feels right.

Love Hayward. Just drove through there a while back heading up to Ashland for a job interview.
Did the Fat Tire a bunch of times.

Lots of good advice here.
I initially tried the Bridgeport route, nothing that was not a scrap heap within 300 miles under $3000.
Had a good deal on a Enco Bridgeport (Taiwan) clone with tons of tooling. It was 5 hrs away, moving was $4K.

The issue is my location, very rural. NW WI on the end of a gravel road, I need to get the machine to my garage up a 300 ft gravel driveway with a elevation gain of 40 ft.

Last week I tried to buy the Grizzly G0678. A week later they said the closest they could get it was a freight terminal 3 hours away.

Looked at getting a PM932 with power feed and DRO, more than $500 less than the Grizzly.

They originally said they could ship anywhere in the US. Gave them my address, now they are not sure.

I found a local trucking company that can do a lift gate at my garage.

Sent the info to both , waiting for new quotes.

Bottom line: I still prefer the knee mill over the PM with all the bells and whistles.

Any thoughts?

I am confused here, why does your bio say Wyoming?

The keys to finding good used equipment in Wisconsin are persistence and patience. There are plenty of good machines out there at reasonable prices. You just have to know where to look. I would suggest visiting some local machine shops and let the owner know you're looking for a particular type of machine. It's a close knit community and they all let each other know when they are either buying or selling machines. The company I worked for had several machine shops in production or rebuild facilities across the country. The shops were always being visited by vendors of some sort or another. Over time you learned from them who was buying and who was selling. You also learned how shops treated their equipment. Other good places to look are local high schools, municipalities, universities, and technical colleges. Machines from these places are generally in like new condition, and go for prices less than a dime on the dollar. Wisconsin has several online sites that cater to the above mentioned entities.

Here are a couple sites:
http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mncal.cgi?rlust

https://swap.wisc.edu/

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,wi/browse/home?tm=m

https://madison.craigslist.org/search/tla?query=milling+machine

Over the years I've purchased over a dozen machines. Some from businesses downsizing, upgrading, or changing focus, some from schools and universities upgrading, and others from used equipment dealers. All the machines have been in excellent condition, and none cost nearly $4,000.00. My latest purchase was a Sheldon MW-56P lathe. It was totally rebuilt from the ground up including having the bed and saddle ways reground. It came with several chucks, follow rest, steady rest, 5C collet drawbar system, dog plate, face plate, tool post, and other assorted tooling. It's the first machine I purchased out of state. It came from a shop in the Chicago area that had replaced it with a larger machine. This was the most expensive machine I've ever purchased, and was slightly more than half the price BO mentioned someone was asking for a machine in poor condition.

Another way to keep the cost down is to provide your own transportation. When buying new most manufacturers or dealers will ship to a local freight depot for minimal prices. The big cost is to get it from the depot to the final destination. I have moved machines in my own 5 ton trailer, in the back of a pickup truck, and even rented a drop bed trailer. I was given quotes from $1,800.00 to over $3,000.00 to move my latest machine from the Chicago area to southern Wisconsin. In the end I rented a drop bed trailer like this one for less than $200.00

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equi...0150/6ft-x-12ft-lift-bed-tandem-axle-trailer/

It took less than a day to pickup the lathe and get it home and unloaded. I returned the trailer the following day. All in all it was an easy and inexpensive way to transport a heavy and awkward piece of equipment.

Hayward Wi is pretty nice. Had family that lived in Spooner.

I am in WI, must have clicked WY when I joined, I've tried to edit my profile but nothing takes.

I logged in as you and fixed it. The reason it didn't take is you did not fill the last three question as instructed by the system. I filled them in for you to get your location changed. I suggest you edit them to better describe who you are.

Back