Choices for New Lathe for Newbie

At this point, I don't know what I don't know, which is why there's not an obvious direction for me to go.

I've wanted to learn machining for many years, and I found what is arguably the best--an Emco Maximat 7--which seemed perfect for me, if I could only figure out how to get it shipped and delivered across the country. Well that got the compulsion going, so after giving up on the Maximat I found the Weiss machines which looked perfect until I looked harder at their quick-change gears, which is why I'm looking at larger machines, the smallest of which is the Atlas/Craftsman. Of course once I started looking at bigger machines I see the shortcomings of the Atlas. Deeper down the rabbit hole I go...

I've seen a few solid smaller lathes (eg Jet 10x20), but they go blazingly fast.

The search continues...

Good luck, Evan. I feel for you and all the other new guys coming into this hobby. Its tough to decide on what size to get, let alone which brand, when you don't know anything about machining. Just keep in mind that the bigger the lathe, the bigger the costs because every accessory you buy will need to fit that lathe and you can expect to spend as much or more on accessories as you did on the lathe itself.

Let me suggest one more thing and I'll leave it alone. See if there is a metalworking club or school or maybe even one of our HM members near to you who can let you come by to look at their machines. Then you can see and handle them and that might give you an idea of what you're getting into. Ideas and opinions are one thing but a hands on experience can solidify a lot of things for you.

Good luck, Evan. I feel for you and all the other new guys coming into this hobby. Its tough to decide on what size to get, let alone which brand, when you don't know anything about machining. Just keep in mind that the bigger the lathe, the bigger the costs because every accessory you buy will need to fit that lathe and you can expect to spend as much or more on accessories as you did on the lathe itself.

Let me suggest one more thing and I'll leave it alone. See if there is a metalworking club or school or maybe even one of our HM members near to you who can let you come by to look at their machines. Then you can see and handle them and that might give you an idea of what you're getting into. Ideas and opinions are one thing but a hands on experience can solidify a lot of things for you.
Mikey,
Thanks. Again, great advice. I was just thinking this morning after replying to the thread that what I really need to do is find somewhere I can get some hands-on experience. I live in Silicon Valley, so there are a lot of guys around that tinker in their garages, I just don't know any (yet). I also need to check into community college classes.

Evan

Mikey,
Thanks. Again, great advice. I was just thinking this morning after replying to the thread that what I really need to do is find somewhere I can get some hands-on experience. I live in Silicon Valley, so there are a lot of guys around that tinker in their garages, I just don't know any (yet). I also need to check into community college classes.

Evan

Good thinking, Evan. Maybe post a query on this forum and see if there is someone close to you that can give you a tour of their shop. The map feature is not helpful at all but you never know ... lots of guys from CA on the forum.

I have a feeling that a 10-12" lathe is what you're looking for but you can't tell from pics and you can't tell from words. The best way to know a lathe is to live with it and work with it; then you'll know it. Barring that, the next best thing is to see one and speak to the guy who does know it.

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like I can get a 10 HP VFD (should be more than enough to run a 4 HP motor?) for about $300, while a 5 HP RPC is ~$1k. What am I missing?

The RPC is plug in a go. Even if the machine voltage is different - add a transformer and away you go (I have done exactly that for my 600V machines). Of course if you do go with a VFD, you would still need to address the voltage issue - so that won't effect your decision. With an RPC you can plug in as many machines as you wish. I have a 5 hp RPC, my largest motor is a 5 hp. I have 7 three phase machines running off the RPC - both the milling machines have 3 phase feed motors, three of machines have coolant pumps (again, easy) - about 12 separate motors. I did not start out that way. I started with one lathe, bought the RPC and over the course of many years have acquired additional machines - it is a slippery slope. The point being that with an RPC the power options for future machines is easy.

The typical VFD set up involves connecting the VFD directly to the motor (and only that motor). The motor controls must be modified so that on/off, fwd/rev is done within the VFD. You do not switch power to the VFD or disconnect between the VFD and the motor.

You can get electronic 1->3 phase converters - such as a PhasePerfect and it is plug in and go - but the price is much higher. I have not seen anyone here discuss this option.

The comments further up about tooling costs are absolutely correct - tooling for larger machines more. You can get the basic tooling, then begin the hunt (e-bay etc) and it won't break the bank.

Let us know how you make out. David

The RPC is plug in a go. Even if the machine voltage is different - add a transformer and away you go (I have done exactly that for my 600V machines). Of course if you do go with a VFD, you would still need to address the voltage issue - so that won't effect your decision. With an RPC you can plug in as many machines as you wish. I have a 5 hp RPC, my largest motor is a 5 hp. I have 7 three phase machines running off the RPC - both the milling machines have 3 phase feed motors, three of machines have coolant pumps (again, easy) - about 12 separate motors. I did not start out that way. I started with one lathe, bought the RPC and over the course of many years have acquired additional machines - it is a slippery slope. The point being that with an RPC the power options for future machines is easy.

The typical VFD set up involves connecting the VFD directly to the motor (and only that motor). The motor controls must be modified so that on/off, fwd/rev is done within the VFD. You do not switch power to the VFD or disconnect between the VFD and the motor.

You can get electronic 1->3 phase converters - such as a PhasePerfect and it is plug in and go - but the price is much higher. I have not seen anyone here discuss this option.

The comments further up about tooling costs are absolutely correct - tooling for larger machines more. You can get the basic tooling, then begin the hunt (e-bay etc) and it won't break the bank.

Let us know how you make out. David
David,
Thanks! That's very helpful!
Evan

Back