Chip Guard attached to the cross slide

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I want to make a chip guard that attaches to the cross slide that moves along with the cutter to keep some if not most of the chips under control. I'm thinking Plexiglass for this. How would I form it to a round shape? I have seen this setup on other lathes, but can't find anything now that I'm looking for it.

I just found this. From @ksierens

This what I want to do.

Acrylic forms easily with heat. I'm not sure the temp needed (been a long time since high school), but once it's hot you can do almost any shape with it.

I made mine out of sheet metal using the template linked in this video.

I have bent polycarbonate with a heat gun over a form. Just be careful not to over heat it or you can have brown spots and bubbles. An oven would work better.

Interesting, this afternoon I cut a piece of aluminum for one. Need to trim it and figure out where the holes go. Nothing fancy, just a 5.5 x 9.5 x 1/8" piece.

They do sell them, I haven't had much success with bending polycarbonate (Lexan) as there is a very narrow temperature where it will bend easily. I have used it for chip shields on my mill and lathe. Acrylic or plexiglass should not be used for shields that might be subject to stress or impact, they will shatter and offer little to no protection. Supposedly polycarbonate can be bent cold. I purchased Flexbar chip shield, used it on my 1340GT and on my current lathe it is mounted to the cross slide. You could bend some metal stock and insert clear viewing windows. The Flexbar seems to be called the LatheGuard, seems like the least expensive is direct from the manufacturer. It has almost doubled in price sing I bought it.

20200312_161713.jpg
20200312_161622.jpg

On the cross slide, a piece of flashing tin will serve. As long or as short as appropriate for your machine. For a cover above the work, I would prefer polycarbonate over plexiglas. Plexi is brittle and discolors easily. As large or as small as desired. . . I personally prefer to watch what I'm working on, small, detailed work. But I have goggles over safety glasses and don't mind the mess.

Back