Chip control ideas for the mill

A real machinist can ignore burning chips and can estimate the rate of blood loss very accurately.

It is seldom appreciated that the true purpose of those plexiglass "Chip" shields is to protect the workpiece from those corrosive bodily fluids that spray out of the machinist.

RIP Chip, whoever you were.

I once had a 3 panel, folding magnetic screen, that with an controlled air stream, the vast majority of the chips were caught by the screen. Hold the screen over the trash can and shut the magnet off chip fell in the can. It finally died of transformer failure, but obviously on worked with steel and cast iron.

After using fixed screens on my Tormach I started to use a "shower curtain". It is a 12" x 30" piece of 7 mil clear vinyl that I hold in place with magnets. It is adjustable to fit the situation, it yields to parts as they are machined and it effectively stops chips and flood coolant. I have used the same piece of vinyl for for seven years.

After using fixed screens on my Tormach I started to use a "shower curtain". It is a 12" x 30" piece of 7 mil clear vinyl that I hold in place with magnets. It is adjustable to fit the situation, it yields to parts as they are machined and it effectively stops chips and flood coolant. I have used the same piece of vinyl for for seven years.

This is a very interesting idea! Have any photos of the setup?

Back