Chinese Manufactured T&C Grinder???

seagiant

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Looking at these Chinese cutter grinders to sharpen ill cutters.

I assume they use collets to hold the cutters.

Do the collets come in inch sizes or metric?

I assume if metric then no good for inch cutters.

Any info on these $600 machines, would be appreciated!

You might be better off from the more expensive machine from cuttermaster which takes 5 c collets(so up to 1 1/16" with wide availability) and is backed by them. Otherwise there is also Shars machine. those $600 machines don't seem to take 5c or R8 collets.

Hi,
I have a Industrial Tool Warehouse a short drive away.

Might take a ride and see if they have a used American made one.

Just saw these and was wondering if any one here had tried one?

I guessing you mean a single point tool & cutter grinder. I've got the Shars. 5C collets. It came with a few. OK machine. Robin did a total overhaul to near perfection on one. Stefan Gotteswinter has one. Both of them show it in use. You posted while I was writing, yes that machine. These are a knock off of the German made Deckel SO.

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of grinder will not sharpen flutes on end mills, it will sharpen ends, radiused ends and create D style points for engraving. Far from being a universal tool and cutter grinder.

Far from being a universal tool and cutter grinder.
Not sure anyone claims it is a universal tool & cutter grinder. Would you expect that for $6-800? If you are a perfectionist, don't buy one! There is also a learning curve. End mill sharpening is also limited. It is nearly impossible to get center cutting ground. I've tried and given up because my wheels all have wear on the corners. 2, 3 & 4 flute ends can be done but not center cutting. Use a Foredom, pencil die grinder or Dremel to gouge out the center. There are 2 spindle sizes commonly available. 20mm & 1 1/4". 20mm wheels seem easier to get. Shars carries 1 1/4" Sharpening HSS & brazed carbide lathe tools is pretty easy. I know people are going to cringe, but I sharpen some inserts also. The diamond & CBN wheels are pretty cheap and last quite well. Rig dust collection.

You might find some additional info in this thread.

Hi,
I have a Industrial Tool Warehouse a short drive away.

Might take a ride and see if they have a used American made one.

Just saw these and was wondering if any one here had tried one?
There are several of us who have them. Mine was more expensive because it’s R8. The Deckel style collets in the supposed $600 one(watch out for shipping!) are metric and can only take a 12mm so won’t grind 1/2” or 3/4” obviously. If I was to do it over I’d find a used Cuttermaster or the Shars version with the 5c. I was trying to limit the huge investment in collets and got R8. But 5c will hold longer bits and that’s really handy because the Deckel clones weren’t made exactly for mill bits, it for D bits and you run out of room to chuck up end mills pretty fast. I use mine and it does a good job but it is really challenging and it takes some creativity that I don’t think others have to go through.

Back