Check my table setup

As others here have said you can make your vise a little more versatile by relocating the jaws. A few years ago I was making something that needed even a little more versatility so I machined some new jaws from some steel blocks I had on hand. They have come in handy a few times, but I honestly don't use them very often.
Ted
DSCN0951.JPG

I made my fixture plate to go in the vice, quick, easy, more or less centered. I also machined the base on my Spin Indexer to align CL when vice mounted. Allows me to index tapers also, think making tapered reamers.

With the relocation of the vise jaws,and/ or longitudinal placement, I'd say you're golden.

I just remove my vise and move whatever tool fixture to the table. I don't have a long table (like you) so I find it necessary.
There are times you won't need the full plate so as Dave says you can just flip the jaw to the back.
But there are other times you will need the rigidity of the table in contact with the plate.
I modified my spindexer to fit in my BP vise. I narrowed the base.

What's right now, maynot be right for you later. Things depend on your current needs.

Yeah, I don’t really see the point of having a “Standard fixed setup” as whatever time savings it may bring you will likely get eaten up in having a cluttered workspace.

Learn how to do good fast(or not) setups and you’ll be better off.

Proper setups are 90% of this game.

I agree now... i dont want to get locked into the mindset of i dont want to move my vise.

I need to learn to setup the vice, rotary table and other setups quickly.

Chad

I put the locator blocks in the bottom of the rotary table, indexing head and foot centers to make setup quicker. I considered doing it on the vice but its quick to setup with only a couple of passes of an indicator while tapping the vice about one snug bolt. I made wooden cradles to set the items with the locating blocks in.

I recommend getting comfortable with tramming the vise. You'll need to move it on occasion, especially on a smaller mill unless you're only making really small parts.

Once I got fast at tramming it, I didn't bother with a "permanent" setup, and move it around when needed. Before then, I would jump through hoops to avoid moving it.

Back