Cheap UHMW

I've been trying to build an inventory of the most commonly needed materials, so that when I need a piece of this or that, I have it. Not long ago I bought some aluminum and black delrin rounds. Each was an assortment of sizes, cut in 12 in. pieces to fit a flat-rate box. Looking for some 1 in. dia. UHMW, I came across a deal, 1 in. dia. x 48 in. for $15 with free shipping. This was much cheaper than any other listing. Even weirder, it came from MSC. https://www.ebay.com/itm/28280256202

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282802562028

That's a great price with shipping, I think I'll get one of those. McMaster-Carr has it for $12.56, but that $25 shipping charge is a killer. I put two 2' pieces in my cart and shipping went down to about $10.
Yeah a great deal, ordered one when there were about 20 left.
Looks like they sold out now.

Looks like they sold out now.
D'oh! I'm at my daughter's concert and missed it... oh well, maybe I'll add a shorter length to my next McMaster order, there shouldn't much of any increase in the shipping as long as I keep it under 3 feet.

That's a great price with shipping, I think I'll get one of those. McMaster-Carr has it for $12.56, but that $25 shipping charge is a killer. I put two 2' pieces in my cart and shipping went down to about $10.
McMaster has a warehouse near me. The only time I paid shipping was during the "pandemic" and before they started doing drive up will call, which they have also since eliminated and I can walk in and pick things up.

McMaster has a warehouse near me. The only time I paid shipping was during the "pandemic" and before they started doing drive up will call, which they have also since eliminated and I can walk in and pick things up.
I used to live about 30 minutes away from the NJ location, shipping was added on the invoice afterwards, so I never paid attention to it too much, but I believe other than the two courier deliveries, I was always charged shipping. I liked being close enough to pop in at will call, now it’s about a 3 hour drive…

:sorry:

I think I grabbed the last one...

-Bear
No problem, I’m glad someone here was able to get the deal. I’ll add a piece to my next McMaster-Carr order and it won’t be any more expensive.

I looked through MSC’s other listings and there are some other items I am interested in, so even though I missed out on that deal, I might make out on some others.

Just wondering how everyone liked the UHMW?

I am not planning on any long items to be made from it, so it will work fine, but do have to say the piece I received was heavily warped and has a real set to that bend

Just wondering how everyone liked the UHMW?

I am not planning on any long items to be made from it, so it will work fine, but do have to say the piece I received was heavily warped and has a real set to that bend
Same. Not a surprise, it may have even been why it was so cheap. Strap it to a board to straighten it, then put it in the sun when it comes back.

My sister lives in Sagle.

Back