Cheap UHMW

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been trying to build an inventory of the most commonly needed materials, so that when I need a piece of this or that, I have it. Not long ago I bought some aluminum and black delrin rounds. Each was an assortment of sizes, cut in 12 in. pieces to fit a flat-rate box. Looking for some 1 in. dia. UHMW, I came across a deal, 1 in. dia. x 48 in. for $15 with free shipping. This was much cheaper than any other listing. Even weirder, it came from MSC. https://www.ebay.com/itm/282802562028

It always pays to shop eBay as there is sometimes these head shaker deals scattered about. I don’t know if these big stores are trying to get rid of stuff before tax time or they have some kind of timer on old stock. I’ve also seen guys who I can only think they are selling drops from work or leftovers from a project for a good deal. But it takes a lot of browsing to build up a feeling for what’s a good deal or somebody who’s trying to gouge the hobbyists. I love assorted lots but have had a hard time finding the assortment that fits the bill for me. I have a big drawer full of blocks and rounds of mostly UHMW but quite a bit of Delrin. When it gets where there’s room I go back to browsing eBay long before I get critically low. I also only buy white UHMW and black Delrin so I can visually tell them apart.

I also only buy white UHMW and black Delrin so I can visually tell them apart.
Having spent quite a bit of time with them, delrin and UHMW are easy. Delrin is white, hard and opaque. UHMW is soft and translucent milky white. Nylon is more yellowish than UHMW and not quite as translucent. Polypropylene is a tough one, hard to tell from UHMW. Teflon is soft, opaque, bright white and heavy.

I buy a lot of drops and trim pieces from 2nd hand stores. Good to have on hand for a lot of jobs.

I've been trying to build an inventory of the most commonly needed materials, so that when I need a piece of this or that, I have it. Not long ago I bought some aluminum and black delrin rounds. Each was an assortment of sizes, cut in 12 in. pieces to fit a flat-rate box. Looking for some 1 in. dia. UHMW, I came across a deal, 1 in. dia. x 48 in. for $15 with free shipping. This was much cheaper than any other listing. Even weirder, it came from MSC. https://www.ebay.com/itm/282802562028
Isn't it amazing how expensive Delrin/acetate is!!

Having spent quite a bit of time with them, delrin and UHMW are easy. Delrin is white, hard and opaque. UHMW is soft and translucent milky white. Nylon is more yellowish than UHMW and not quite as translucent. Polypropylene is a tough one, hard to tell from UHMW. Teflon is soft, opaque, bright white and heavy.
Wait one. Delrin is white?

I'm always scrounging for stock to stash away.

I got a 3x4 sheet of 1/2" acrylic out of the trash of a neighbor who does renovations.

It was a sign from a local strip club called Illusions, and I've had to explain that a few times, but this would cost $100+ if you had to buy it.

I buy a lot of drops and trim pieces from 2nd hand stores. Good to have on hand for a lot of jobs.

wish I had 2nd hand stores like that around here! My life time supply came from a used butcher table my dad scored from the Village Store in Yosemite when they replaced it. Then I got a 4x4x1” piece and some smaller chunks of the grey UMHW that is graphite impregnated my brother picked up from a school in Stockton close to where he lived. He said they had a whole stack of 4x8x1” sheets that they used for bathroom stall dividers! My brother didn’t know what it was and only took one 4x8 piece. The only reason I knew what it was because we had to order it special for a link conveyer at work. Very hi$$$ stuff, and they were using it for bathroom stall dividers!

That's a great price with shipping, I think I'll get one of those. McMaster-Carr has it for $12.56, but that $25 shipping charge is a killer. I put two 2' pieces in my cart and shipping went down to about $10.

Back