Cheap Test Indicators Unusable?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am wondering what kinds of experiences people have had with cheap test indicators.

I have never had a problem with a dial indicator, no matter how cheap, so at some point in the past I bought a test indicator from CDCO. Tonight I had to mount my vise on my mill, so I used the indicator. I got nowhere with it. It seemed like the numbers never wanted to settle down. I ended up so far out of tram I could actually see it. I had to knock the vise back into position and start over.

I got out my old Tesatest indicator (not Asian), and it was a different story. It worked exactly the way it was supposed to, and I was done in a few minutes.

The impression I got with the CDCO indicator was that the zero was wandering. Has anyone else had an experience like that?

Got 2 cheap diail indicatores from ebay.. they work but dont messure the same over 1mm travel.. for indicating they are ok..

My problem was with a test indicator, not a dial indicator.

I can relate. I bought a cheap test indicator, and mounted it to Joe Pie's magnetic holder.

There is enough play in the pivot of the indicator arm that when you reverse the indicator's travel, in X or Y, backlash in that pivot is substantial, and observable.
If you use it in one direction only, I guess it is okay, but it IS a piece of junk. The import knockoff of Joe's holder is solid in comparison.

The Chinese have allowed many of us into this game. They have also provided lessons that we would not have learned any other way. For that, I suppose I am grateful.....:cautious:

I'm wondering if I damaged the CDCO indicator in the past. But I have had trouble tramming the vise before, so maybe the indicator was always funny.

I also wonder if Shars test indicators are any better. I have had zero problems with their micrometers.

What resolution is the indicator, the finer the res. the more it will jump around.

I know Joe Pie likes to use one of those old General No 387 mag holders, they are no longer made and they make knock offs now. But I was not aware that he made his own holder. I don't keep up with his videos & a quick search came up empty.

I also wonder if Shars test indicators are any better. I have had zero problems with their micrometers.
Shar's DTI's are very good for the money so I would venture to say that their test indicators would be pretty good also.

Back