Cheap Downfeed Control for HF 4x6 Bandsaw

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've seen lots of elegant, well thought out designs for hydraulic downfeed controls for the HF 4x6. This is not one of those. In keeping with my previous stupidly simple designs, this is an attempt to build one as cheaply economically and simply as possible. In this case that meant using parts I had on hand. I used a screen-door closer, an angle bracket, a piece of 3/4 dia. CRS x 1.75 in., 4 fasteners and some washers. The door closer is not strong enough on its own, but with the help of the original spring tension unit, it actually seems to work fairly well. I had to play with the spring tension and the closer control screw looking for the sweet spot. Apologies for the length of the video, I wanted to let it cut all the way through in real-time.

When I had the smaller saws , I just hooked up an air cylinder with flow controls . :)

Now I know you call yourself Mr. Whoopee. "WHOOPEE! IT WORKS!" :dancing banana:All kidding aside, great solution. :clapping:

I do like your addition to the saw, but I must ask--- Is the saw cutting the tube at it's normal rate? If so it makes my Startrite horizontal bandsaw and Racine power hacksaw look like they're cutting at lightning speeds. I was always a bit impatient waiting for them to finish a cut, but maybe they're really not that slow in the scheme of things.

No, it would cut much faster except for the downfeed control. It also might grab a tooth and tear it out.

Last edited:
Cool, someone who is an even bigger cheapskate than me LOL
-M
Please, the word is frugal. Besides, I have to find some use for all the stuff I just can't bring myself to throw out.
In the end, I may have to buy (shudders) a cylinder or make one from some of the other stuff I have lying around, but this has been entertaining.
I did this with no modifications to the saw and actually only expected to learn why it isn't done. With a decent quality closer it might actually be useful.

Ooooh! I just remembered I have a heavy duty arm style door closer somewhere....

1622816807875.png

While the door closer control was a surprising success, it didn't provide smooth downfeed and it was not easily adjusted. While puttering around in the shop yesterday, I spotted an air cylinder that I had forgotten hanging on the wall. It was way bigger than required, but I already had it, so off I went. As before, the object was to make it with what I had on hand. No ordering off Amazon or eBay, no trips to the hardware store.

20210711_122611.jpg

A large part of the job was rifling through the plumbing inventory to find the right combination of valves and fittings. It's a bit of a hodge-podge, but it works very well, smooth downfeed and precise control. I will need a couple more hose clamps, but it's working for now and not blowing off the hose. I did have to drill a hole through the stand to anchor the cylinder, but that was the only mod to the saw itself.

that is very neat. I've been thinking about doing something similar on my 4x6 (same colour too!) as the downfeed with the spring isn't linear - cuts fast at the start and slows waaaay down for the last 1/8", so much that I've gotten used to putting a weight on the end of the saw to finish the cut. How's your experience with the hydraulic downfeed?

that is very neat. I've been thinking about doing something similar on my 4x6 (same colour too!) as the downfeed with the spring isn't linear - cuts fast at the start and slows waaaay down for the last 1/8", so much that I've gotten used to putting a weight on the end of the saw to finish the cut. How's your experience with the hydraulic downfeed?
If you consider that the spring exerts more force as it is stretched it's no surprise that the cut slows.
I can't speak to the behavior of this arrangement, I just finished it this afternoon and haven't made a cut yet.

Back