Cheap China DRO's on a 1952 Index 55

Bobf

Registered
Registered
I've had this machine since 1987 and is used sparingly for hobby projects. I've had the use of a CNC Dyna mill for the last couple years and have become quite use to the DRO system on it. Well, all good things eventually end and my son-in-law wants his CNC mill back from my temporary storage. I searched the net looking for anything about adding DRO capability to the 55 but found nothing specific, so I'm adding this to possibly show how I solved the problem. I removed the table and saddle on the 55 and replaced several of the bearings in the saddle and table with parts still available from Wells-Index. The lead screw nut for the table was found to have the cap screws securing it loose but still worn considerably. The nut had been modified at some point (I believe) by cutting it in half and inserting two Allen set screws to vary the distance when securing it back together. I tightened that up a little, but it still has a little play in it. NOTE it isn't necessary to disassemble the table/saddle to add the scales.
I purchased three Igaging DRO's from Davidh who is a member here on the forum, one 36" and two 12" for XYZ. The mounting was fairly straight forward, and drilling/tapping in the cast iron was quite easy. I had to cut the scale for the "Y" or saddle, which was quite easy with a hacksaw. I mounted a small sheet metal panel on the belt guard and utilized the magnetic capability of the readouts to hold them in place. The wires still require some attention. I added some aluminum shields over all three scales to somewhat control the swarf. I may look into building one of the DRO350 type readouts later on to replace the 3 individual units. I'll attempt to add a few pix to depict the the results.

IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1473.JPG IMG_1479.JPG IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1495.JPG IMG_1476.JPG

Last edited:
a easy solution for dealing with the wires is: 100% silicone caulk (gotta be 100%), mixed with no more than 5% corn starch from the wife's cooking supplys, mixed good and quickly, disposable gloves is recommended. gob that on the wires in a couple places and fasten the wires to anything / surface that's clean.
look like snot the first time you do it, you'd get better at it the second time :) .
the corn starch makes the silicone set up really fast even if its thick.

nice job on the mounting and covering.

Bobf,

How much Y travel did you lose with the scale mounted to the rear of the table?

I like the setup and am thinking of something similar.

Greg

Bobf,

How much Y travel did you lose with the scale mounted to the rear of the table?

I like the setup and am thinking of something similar.

Greg
The quick answer is none. I used the supplied end caps which leave the outer edge of the captive reader 15/16"-1" out from the surface. The variance is because I checked all three of mine and they fell within that range. The back of the saddle is curved out from under the table where I mounted the reader, so moving back in "Y" the brass scrapers hit the back before my swarf shield hits. I attached a couple pix but are hard to tell with cheap camera and flash.

IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1500.JPG

Thanks Bob.

I am doing a restoration of a mill I just bought and have been removing and cleaning parts. I like your setup as a cheaper alternative for my needs.

I was also looking at the DRO350 that you mention.

Thanks Bob.

I am doing a restoration of a mill I just bought and have been removing and cleaning parts. I like your setup as a cheaper alternative for my needs.

I was also looking at the DRO350 that you mention.
bodaver32,
You have a good start. If you haven't as of yet taken the table off, here is a tip on how I did mine. You can see in the photos the mill is back in the corner, hard to get a shop crane or hoist in there. I used one of a few Kennedy roller cabinets with a couple pieces of 1/2" PVC on top. Roll the box up to the side, then lower the knee down until it matches the height then just roll it off, reverse to put back on. Really worked slick.

I'm still thinking about the DR350. I previously contacted Gary, @ Wildhorse Innovations (MT) and he said the kits were available and he hoped to have adapters to the iGaging connector after the first of the year.
Bob f

Back