Change Gears

morph

Registered
Registered
I have been trying to figure out why every time I attempt to thread on the lathe my tool will not track correctly. I am using the correct procedure with the half nut engaged, because I have done it many times.

I recently crashed the compound into the chuck and instead of hitting the stop button I hit the forward/neutral/reverse lever. Being that it is a single phase 230 volt motor the motor didn't change direction. It just kept going and ended up breaking a few teeth off the change gears. I know now that I need to put a sacrificial pin connecting the lead screw to the drive.

My question is, will missing a few teeth on the gears cause a problem threading?

Thanks iron man. I will get the gears replaced before I try threading again and see how it goes.

Sorry for your bad experience! It is so easy to do.
As you now know a reversing sw. cannot be used for an on/off switch. Please before you use you lathe again install a toggle or push button on/off switch.
Michael

valleyboy101,
Thanks for the tip. The machine has a stop button but I freaked out and went for the wrong thing to shut it down.

Back