Chambering short barrels in the headstock

Got my D1-5 backplate taken care of. Fun little project all by itself.

22-03-17 17-20-38 7184.jpg

Now I'm thinking through how to keep the rest of the fixture as short and sweet as possible. I need to keep the first inch or so in tact at full diameter to account for the mounting bolts that join the two main pieces. I could put the rearward set of bolts through that section (with long ass bolts for a barrel fixture, heh) - Then taper the jig down after that.

I think that gives me everything I'm looking for. 7.25 inch overall length (vs an 11 inch two piece setup with a 4 jaw and inboard spider)

So for the old timers - am I doing anything stupid? Better way to skin a cat? Open to any suggestions.

22-03-17 19-00-09 7186.jpg

22-03-18 16-57-50 7189.jpg

Got the backplate drilled and mounted up. There's a fixture hiding in that big round hunk of metal... time to let it out.

Last edited:
The thread below might be of interest. If using for an action truing jig, some smart gentleman recommend only using front screws resting on a bushing that wraps the front of the action. Otherwise you can bend the action.

The thread below might be of interest. If using for an action truing jig, some smart gentleman recommend only using front screws resting on a bushing that wraps the front of the action. Otherwise you can bend the action.

That gentlemen makes the finest rifles money can buy, and produces perfect machine work.

Get the trash cans ready. There is gonna be a lot of chips. Nice project.

Joe

Piles of rats nest a mile high. At least it's a pretty mess?

I get to stress test my servo driving ELS on stuff like that. .200" cut off diameter at 1000 RPM with .010" feed rate. It will disappear quickly.

22-03-19 14-36-40 7194.jpg

Got the 2 inch hole bored all the way through. Man I hate boring.

I think the dimensions are going to be close to what you see. It's not very heavy as is, much lighter than a 4 jaw. iPhone photo makes it look a lot longer than it is.

Last edited:
22-03-19 17-24-05 7198.jpg

Got as far as I'll be able to until I get a longer tap and some hardware. I also put a couple of index pins in to help keep perfect alignment of the backplate and fixture. Thanks for the support everyone!

Back