Chainsaw grinder stand

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We picked up an Oregon chainsaw sharpening grinder on Amazon as we just want it better than the file.

Model 410 looked like a good choice. The cheaper ones look way cheap, and this one looks to have the same basics as better models, just fewer features that we do not need.

It claimed to be bench or wall mount, so we thought we could just clamp to bench when needed... wrong.

It seems you mount it to the edge of your bench, sticking out in the way, or mount to a wall, taking wall space, not doing that.

Got out a couple of radio rack feet to start the mount.

A piece of aluminum sheet between the feet acts as a wall.

Placed the sheet sticking out the bottom to allow marking the base for 3/8 threaded holes for the all thread that will be used for the bench mount holes.

Used 1/2 inch conduit to make 6 inch spacers to result in the unit floating 6 inches above the base.

We now have plenty of room to adjust the blade holder and allow the chain to be out of the way.

It is mounted to both the vertical sheet of aluminum that is sanwiched between the rack feet and the base via the all thread, very solid, and the footprint is good size so it does not move.

We will need to find some shelf space to store it, and we need to make a storage area on the backside to store the wheels and supplies.

Now we need to get the correct angles for Stihl chains, since this is Oregon it has Oregon data, Still has different references for the angles and the one chart we found did not seem to be obvious to what chain is which, homework for later.

One thing we do not really like is the chain stop.

It is easy to adjust, but it looks to have a very loose fit, so you need to pull the chain against it to take up all of the different gaps from the loose fit.
3050aa8fe85e07e6c788ee0da4c2adef.jpg
ae5b40cb98aff3fc5052f91834a04b62.jpg
9db4297797be4c4abdb0d4765b32813e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Looks great . Another project on my to-do list .

I made a thread about modifying the northern tool copy of this grinder to bring it to Oregon specs way back in another life.

These machines can really make your sawing experience so much better.

Just dialing in different angles for hard/soft woods is a big game changer.

Read the instruction manual again, can go to he'll for that...

Looks like we need to add a couple bolts, it is work In progress...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back