Chainsaw bar oil ?

It's pretty expensive these days . Are there alternatives out there to use ? :dunno:Vegetable oil ? Motor oil ? A mix of others ?
there is a thread on here from 2016 that @MrWhoopee mentioned he was getting "reclaimed" way oil from cnc shops.. and using that for chain bar oil.

there is a thread on here from 2016 that @MrWhoopee mentioned he was getting "reclaimed" way oil from cnc shops.. and using that for chain bar oil.

Last time I bought bar oil I paid about $8. It appeared to be recycled and smelled like 90 wt. gear oil. Since then I received multiple gallons of reclaimed CNC way oil. Hopefully it will last as long as I do.

Yes he did mention that. Actually today!

Way back one summer (circa 1970) when I worked in a forest service slash crew we just used motor oil.

I,ve always strained my used motor oil through a rag to remove any grit, and used it continuously for bar oil and other farm oiling uses. my good friend who is 91 just dipped the tip of his blade in an ice cream bucket of used motor oil often as he was cutting logs--very quick and simple and effective. I never had to replace a blade in all my wood cutting years and no expense for bar oil since I changed oil in my vechicles regulary.
Dave

Last edited:
I have more than a few gallons of used motor oil on hand that I may run thru the cheap saws . I'll stick to the bar and chain oils for the Huskys and Stihls . Would some STP in the used oil help with the slinging off the chain ? I would think so . :dunno:

I have more than a few gallons of used motor oil on hand that I may run thru the cheap saws . I'll stick to the bar and chain oils for the Huskys and Stihls . Would some STP in the used oil help with the slinging off the chain ? I would think so . :dunno:
Yes it would.

I would rather mix in some 90wt or 120-130wt used rear end differential oil to make it thicker. STP costs money and wouldn't mix with the oil just by stirring it in like the gear oil would.--- the best part about using the used oils is you aren't hesitent about using lots to keep your blade constantly oiled and less friction for heat. I have always added a quart of Lucas oil when I change oil in my older vehicles so it already is a little thicker.
Dave

Back