Central 12X36 lathe with some tooling for sale near me

tominboise

Registered
Registered
Central 12X36 Lathe

The link above is a Central Machinery 12X36 lathe for sale near me. It is a 1999 vintage and the person is asking $3875. Lathes don't show up that often near me, for what it's worth. It appears to be the same as the Grizzly G4003, which $4500 new, but without any tooling or stand, etc. I think it is priced too high but wonder what the collective thinks. I don't know if it's worth going after this or not.

Last edited:
Like double what it’s worth. My brother bought one about 10yrs ago from HFT with the discount tag for close to $2,000. This is a used Chinese lathe that this guy thinks is worth present day inflated prices.

Too high by a factor of 2 or more. Hard pass. You can do better.

Like double what it’s worth. My brother bought one about 10yrs ago from HFT with the discount tag for close to $2,000. This is a used Chinese lathe that this guy thinks is worth present day inflated prices.
Thanks for the input, it matches what I thought. I just needed to make sure I wasn't out of touch.

Good luck. For some reason it seems there is this trend again on the used market to go outrageous. The best strategy for me is just not get in a hurry and keep observing. It also helps me to keep waiting knowing the deal of the century will happen AFTER I commit to another machine.

I have been seeing this trend on EB lately, asking an outrageous price, with the "Make offer".

That much money will buy a real lathe.
Expand your search range. Be prepared to drive. Some nice stuff shows up in the Reno area from time to time.

same here, very high. But sometimes someone will jump in and buy it for ridiculous money, which then sets the price others ask at about the same. So it's what the mkt will bear. But I won't. I made an offer on something recently for 70 percent of asking price, and they laughed... they sold it 2 days later for their asking price... so pick your battles.

That lathe in my opinion is MORE than 2x what it should be.

That lathe in my opinion is MORE than 2x what it should be.
Yeah maybe. I know everyplace is different. I’d not done a search for a lathe on CL for a while and up popped an Enco 12x36 for $500. I think it was in the Bay Area, dunno. Just remember it looked nice and was one of those rare “getting rid of it” posts I hadn’t seen in years. Already gone, probably the same day. But I’ve noticed a lot more machine dealer ads for stupid prices lately too.

Yeah maybe. I know everyplace is different. I’d not done a search for a lathe on CL for a while and up popped an Enco 12x36 for $500. I think it was in the Bay Area, dunno. Just remember it looked nice and was one of those rare “getting rid of it” posts I hadn’t seen in years. Already gone, probably the same day. But I’ve noticed a lot more machine dealer ads for stupid prices lately too.
That one was right here in my neighborhood.

$3875 is only $3075 more than I paid for my 12x36.

John

Back