Centering Scope

One should never sweep a hole with an indicator as gravity changes the indicator. It's not a trustworthy test.
A student recorded me showing this to error of flipping an indicator.
As long as you don't change the orientation of the indicator setup (other than around the the Z-Axis on the Mill), gravity/sag won't impact the reading. Also, the weight causing the majority of the sag in this demo is in the holder, another reason to use beefy, non-articulating stands/holders.

Stefan has a video looking at the effect of sag as a follow up to your short video.

Mr. Crispin also looked at sag when indicating on a lathe, and how this impact can be minimized.

If you're adventurous, Stefan made a prototype.

Building your own, either from scratch or using the Hemingway kit, may allow you to adjust the design so that the eyepiece tube would be at a more comfortable angle.
I'll check it out

As long as you don't change the orientation of the indicator setup (other than around the the Z-Axis on the Mill), gravity/sag won't impact the reading. Also, the weight causing the majority of the sag in this demo is in the holder, another reason to use beefy, non-articulating stands/holders.

Stefan has a video looking at the effect of sag as a follow up to your short video.

Mr. Crispin also looked at sag when indicating on a lathe, and how this impact can be minimized.
Stefan is a friend of mine and student. He translated one of my classes in German too. Someone mentioned flipping the indicator and I know people flip indicators all the time and have no clue how this changes readings and get errors. I was telling ALL the people reading this thread, not just you

Stefan is a friend of mine and student. He translated one of my classes in German too. Someone mentioned flipping the indicator and I know people flip indicators all the time and have no clue how this changes readings and get errors. I was telling ALL the people reading this thread, not just you
Sorry, I just didn't want folks confused about using a DTI the proper way (not watching the video, just reading your post). My apologies.

Back