Centering Scope

Arcstar*

Registered
Registered
If anyone has a centering scope they'd like to sell I'd definitely be interested in buying it. Getting my chucker centered can be a chore and almost impossible in the middle of running parts. Thanks it'd help me greatly!

If your talking about a Turret on a Turret lathe or chucker lathe like a Hardinge I can tell you how using test bars.

I'm always up for learning something and would appreciate anything you want to share.

It's easy and cheap to make test bars you can put in the turret to check and align the turret. Inside micrometer the holes in the turret to find the average size. Then turn a shaft so you can slide it into the turret. Not knowing the size of the machine and holes is a pain. But if it's 5/8" turn a shaft 4 to 6" long, slide it into the turret and lock it. Then turn in the chuck a shaft 4"to 6" long to the same size as the turret shaft (test bar) Then move the turret slide up so the shafts touch, lock the turret and turret slide and mound a mag base with .0001" or .0005" indicator on the side and align the side and then check to top dead center of the shafts. This is how I have been aligning turrets for 50+ years. :)

Several years I had the opportunity to work on a gearbox housing which had been shattered.
Was part of a vintage tractor of some sort.
The owner got it patched/brazed up, But now all of the holes were gone.
Using the center scope we got the intact part measured from a common reference point.
Then was able to drill and tap the repaired part. Took a couple of days. Bolted up nicely.
Was seriously huge fun.

Daryl
MN

Back