[Newbie] Cement Mixer Replacement Motor

stevesie

Registered
Registered
I was recently gifted a heavy duty Montgomery Ward cement mixer with a 1/2 HP Marathon motor. I was also gifted a GE 5KC 1-1/2 HP "air compressor" motor. I was told the 1/2 HP motor presently on the mixer struggled to turn the drum and sometimes would stall out under even a light load. I'd like to replace the existing motor with the GE but am uncertain if there would be an "issue". Hopefully someone can look at the labels and offer an idea if this is a bad idea . . .

Attachments

• IMG_4513.JPG
    IMG_4513.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4459 (2).JPG
    IMG_4459 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
There should be no problem to do this, both are 56 frame and 1750 Rpm, although the shaft size may be larger on the 1.5 HP motor; keep the pulley size the same as original on the .5 HP motor.

Make sure the drum gear is well greased as well as the mating gear and shaft. A 1/2 hp motor should run it no problem. Might be a motor issue if its been in the weather. Either way as John mentioned the larger motor will be fine also.
Cheers
Martin

That GE should be ok for that. It may trip standard 15 amp breakers if you try to use it on 120 volts however, unless you can plug it into an outlet with 20 amp service. I would connect it for 240 myself, but that does limit your portability a bit
Probably a 1 hp would be the best choice in terms of pluggability
-Mark

There should be no problem to do this, both are 56 frame and 1750 Rpm, although the shaft size may be larger on the 1.5 HP motor; keep the pulley size the same as original on the .5 HP motor.
56 frame motors have a 5/8" shaft with the exception of the 56HZ, it has a 7/8 shaft

Back