Cat Walk, Ladder Rack...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
OK, I knocked-out two of these today. This is a 12' x 2' cat walk for the top of a large panel truck. The owner has an existing skeleton frame rack up there but his workers have stepped on the fiberglass roof more than once. I'm making two catwalks that sit on top of the existing rack. It's 3/16" aluminum diamond back with a bunch of struts welded underneath to make it stronger.

I'm not crazy about these kinds of jobs and much prefer making parts. Stuff like this is just too big to handle for a one-guy shop -and I don't really have the space. If I had the space, I wouldn't mind...

Cat Walk.JPG

Cat Walk.JPG

Yeah. I did'nt realize that you had a metal brake that big to bend that stuff.

It's hard to turn down the work, especially if your making money. "IF", being the operative word. If your not set up to make money at that kind of work, then it might be best to turn it away, but, that's always tricky, because you never know when it might lead to stuff that's right up your alley. I get stuck in that conundrum too! You, don't want to be the guy that's "known" for doing work in something that you'd rather not do.:dunno: It's a tough one.

Marcel

No bender for that, all TIG work. Real hassle too. Damp and cold out today. I'll make a little money on this but not what I'd like. He's a good guy though so, it's OK.

Ray

Back