Cast leadscrew nuts vs. machined

I've done a lot of real castings using Babbitt. One day I needed a acme nut for
a pin router. I know that your to smoke the truning part so what your casting wont
stick to that part but I wanted to try something all new. I cast the nut using JB-weld.
I greased the acme rod instead of smoke. The casting worked great after I got it
loose from the rod but hey... Who would have thought that JB-weld sticks to grease.
Wow did I have a time getting the nut to turn at first... So far its working great. I have
been using it for around a year now.

+1 on the JB Weld. I used it to successfully repair a gear casing on a Bosch Brute demolition hammer. The pocket that holds a sleeve bearing, receiving the main gear shaft, had worn out and became so enlarged the gears would no longer mesh. I cleaned out the pocket well and coated it with JB weld, inserted the bearing and put the gears in position to set the bering correctly. I only hoped it would make it through the next job but that was 10 years and a couple of dozen jobs ago...

I'm now repairing something like that using LOCTITE 660 Retaining Compound .

Thanks for the reply, When it warms up out in the shop will do a test nut and see how that goes. Thanks again!

That was exactly how I made the precision nut for my hight gauge.
I just turned it down for a press fit. The silicon grease helped to reduce the tightness when unscrewing it from the rod threads.

Adjustment_Arm-01.JPGAdjustment_Arm-02.JPG
If you look carefully you can see the joint.

Adjustment_Arm-05.JPG
That bit underneath is the top of the frame.

Back