Cast Iron Surface Plate

Wish you were a little closer. I'd find something to trade you for the granite plate. Wife, kid, lathe, dog, cat, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you were a little closer. I'd find something to trade you for the granite plate. Wife, kid, lathe, dog, cat, etc.

That Precision Granite plate came to me by a circuitous route that involved a trade of a Heavy Ten, a Kalamazoo bandsaw, and a large Johnson bandsaw and a few other "smalls". I didn't need it or deserve it but now that I have it I really like it.

It is impressive, makes me look like I really know what I'm doing. (Fools a lot of people.)

One of the big advantages of a smaller CI surface plate for scraping work is that you can bring it to the peice to be marked, as they are typicaly a lot lighter than a granite surface plate and usualy have handles for that purpose. If you don't scrape (other than the aforementioned magnetic properties) then you probably won't get much use from it. The portability might be nice

One of the big advantages of a smaller CI surface plate for scraping work is that you can bring it to the peice to be marked, as they are typicaly a lot lighter than a granite surface plate and usualy have handles for that purpose. If you don't scrape (other than the aforementioned magnetic properties) then you probably won't get much use from it. The portability might be nice

Got it in my greasy little hands. Nice guy, a machinist by trade but now into other pursuits. He got it from an old time machinist who personally scraped it. It is not in the best of shape but you can certainly tell it was used.

i'd be very tepmted to stone the CI surface lightly to remove any high dings and blue it up against your granite plate to see how flat they are in relation to one another

Last edited:
I did stone it lightly. I'm thinking it will need grinding but it is too big for my surface grinder. Is it worth sending out for Blanchard grinding? Then I could scrape it.

Back